Hay!

Jenni85

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
We bought the ferplast 120 2 Tier cage. It came with clip on hay feeders that sit on the outside of the cage. I didn't think they knew where it was or couldn't access it so I've just put the hay in the corner of the cage BUT it seems like they're now using it as a toilet and not eating it. Should I persevere with the clip on feeder, leave it on the floor of the cage or invest in something else?

Thanks in advance.

This is perfectly fine. They tend to eat where they toilet/toilet at the same time as eating - so what you are finding is very normal. Just remove wet/soiled hay daily and replace with fresh.
Hay is also more than just a food. It is a great source of enrichment and fun so having large loose piles of hay on the floor is good for for them - it gives them somewhere to snuggle into for naps, forage freely through it and play in and it is for that reason that I never use hay racks.

Your routine weekly weight checks will tell you whether they are eating enough hay.

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets
Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs
Weight - Monitoring and Management

My lot love to hide in a big pile of hay.
It gets played in, weed in, pooped in and eaten.
A paper bag full of hay is the best treat ever because they can create side doors and back doors as well as all the eating, hiding and pooping………..

My lot love to hide in a big pile of hay.
It gets played in, weed in, pooped in and eaten.
A paper bag full of hay is the best treat ever because they can create side doors and back doors as well as all the eating, hiding and pooping………..
Thank you, I've put a couple of big piles in the cage and they seem super happy. 😊

Back