Hay

mls18

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Does anyone here know where to buy cheap good quality hay? My guinea pig only likes soft hay(I uasully get orchard) but its so expensive. The cheapest I could find is 50 dollars for 20 pounds which will only last like two months with my two guinea pigs.

Here in the UK I’ve found a local goat farm who make their own hay and buy bales from them as and when I need them. A small bale will last about 6-8 weeks and I have 7 pigs though they do get other hay too. It’s quite soft hay and my pigs love it, perhaps you you find a farm selling some somewhere?

Here in the UK I’ve found a local goat farm who make their own hay and buy bales from them as and when I need them. A small bale will last about 6-8 weeks and I have 7 pigs though they do get other hay too. It’s quite soft hay and my pigs love it, perhaps you you find a farm selling some somewhere?
Oh i didnt know you could do that! Ill look into it, thanks!

I can't really find any farms near me :(. Does anyone know if hayloft is good? I'm thinking about getting the 40-pound third cut timothy hay but I don't want to order it without knowing the quality since it costs so much. Is third cut the softest?

I also have 7 guinea pigs! Where is this local goat farm and do they deliver or do you have to pick it up? I've recently ordered from Farm and Pet place Ltd and each 13kg bale costs £7 but delivery is £4.50. I find the hay to be reasonable but mainly use it as bedding to cover the puppy pads and then use the posh Timothy hay as feeding/treat hay.

I can't really find any farms near me :(. Does anyone know if hayloft is good? I'm thinking about getting the 40-pound third cut timothy hay but I don't want to order it without knowing the quality since it costs so much. Is third cut the softest?
Also is it worth getting such a big package? I'm think itll last about half a year since I have only two guinea pigs. Will it stay fresh for that long?

Also is it worth getting such a big package? I'm think itll last about half a year since I have only two guinea pigs. Will it stay fresh for that long?

Provided it is kept damp free (ie not in a plastic bag where it can sweat if it is warm) a s ideally in the dark, then yes Itll keep for ages

What would you reccoment keeping it in?

Mine is kept in cardboard boxes….but, it is also delivered in those cardboard boxes and I don’t store hay for long. Ive got five animals and get through 20kg (45lbs) every 4 weeks.

Back