Hay ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KittyandNancy

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
They mostly pee in their hay ( how often do you give them fresh hay? I add to it a couple times a day. Do you dump the whole thing everyday? I feel like I waste a lot of hay. I ordered a hay sac but it hasn't come yet. But I like that I know where they go wee at?
When I get the hay bag should I leave the litter pan under it with a cheaper bedding in it? I have some of the soft white papery stuff?

Thanks in advance.
Read more at: http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/normal.115998/#post-1570093
Copyright © The Guinea Pig Forum. Content must not be reproduced without permission.
pixy.png

It saves a lot of cleaning out if you put the hay bag above the litter tray as this is where they will spend most of their time. I do top up hay a couple of times a day and do a full clean out every couple of days but they are in out door hutches in the summer.In the winter they are indoors and have a litter tray that i empty every other day :)

I tend to top up their hay every morning and in the evening too if they need it, it's on top of a litter type tray which I'll empty and wipe out every 2-3 days, they do also have a hay rack which they completely ignore :doh: Mine tend to sit around the hay tray munching so all the fleece get peed on rather than the hay grr

What type of a litter tray do you use? Do you have a picture of it?

Thanks for all the help.

I have a layer of newspaper then finacard then the hay.The hay gets topped up a couple of times a day and the litter trays get cleaned out every two days

Awesome thanks. I got my hello kitty hay bag lol, so I have a litter pan under it with carefresh litter in it and that seems to be helping with not throwing out so much hay. I can't wait to get my other set if grids tomorrow so I can make a cover and a loft and who knows what else. :D I found a cute hanging disco ball, maybe I'll make a party room.

I do a full clean out everyday throwing away all of the hay! I get through so much but you can't leave them with wet hay can you?
I was thinking this. My boys have a c&c rack above a very large litter box...they eat from the litter box and the rack.... its sodden everyday to the bottom and they are only little boys... and have one each. I change the litter boxes every day else infections etc will start. Wet hay in summer esp will cause fungal etc. I go through a 9.5 kg bag of INGS hay every 6 weeks with my two.

I tend to top up their hay every morning and in the evening too if they need it, it's on top of a litter type tray which I'll empty and wipe out every 2-3 days, they do also have a hay rack which they completely ignore :doh: Mine tend to sit around the hay tray munching so all the fleece get peed on rather than the hay grr
I put hay in the litter box when my boys started that rather than other substrate and I was lucky they jumped straight in there! :)

Mine don't get too much hay in the litter box. I will add litter to it everyday. I empty it every two or three days and the bottom was actually dry today when I emptied it out. The paper type litter is very absorbent I guess. So far it's working much better than putting hay in the litter box as I was before. And it doesn't smell at all which is nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back