hay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elvis is my cavy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
is hay ok for bedding because i dnt know where to get vet bed or anything else I'm in australia so if any one knows where to get the stuff please tell me or if hay is ok for bedding

yep I use hay in their bedroom and they give them timothy hay in their play areas! :)

It's normally straw that can poke their eyes. I don't think hay can really do that as the strands are thinner.

Hay can poke their eyes (one of mine got a really nasty injury from it recently), but is less likely to than straw. To be on the safe side, try to get some nice soft hay, which will be less likely to cause an injury.

Yes hay could poke their eyes, but if you choose a nice, good quality hay it's not very likely. I'm assuming your piggy already has hay anyway to eat? :) Hay is fine to use as bedding, but you need a layer of newspaper underneath it really. For my bedding I use newspaper, shredded newspaper and hay and it works great.

I use a layer of newspaper, some megazorb and then hay - works great, as I don't find hay absorbent enough by itself.

I have to agree with that, hay is not absorbant enough, if at all. If you are just using hay and newspaper they will need to be cleaned out every couple of days.

pelicano said:
Hay can poke their eyes (one of mine got a really nasty injury from it recently), but is less likely to than straw. To be on the safe side, try to get some nice soft hay, which will be less likely to cause an injury.

Oops, I stand corrected, never really had problems with hay myself so didn't think there was a potential problem - but I will watch out for it in the future! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back