Hay tray

Ninarodders

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I currently have my boys on shaving but do have a tray of hay that they love to sleep (and play) in. I put shavings in the bottom and meadow hay sprinkle with their haybox hay. (They then have a hay bag with haybox hay so they can sit in the hay eating it). I change the hay daily and the shavings underneath depending on how dirty they have been.

My question is I'm currently trying to swap over to fleece and will keep the hay tray but what would be best to use at the bottom? Still shavings or some sort of paper litter?

Thanks everyone

Bedding is a personal choice and dependent upon what you like using. Of course any shavings which get kicked out of the tray will probably stick to fleece more than paper bedding will.

I use fleece for my main cage and newspaper in the bottom of the hay trays.
Shavings were a nightmare and the newspapers seems to work well and last a couple of days between changes (depending on the number of hay trays and the number of piggies of course).

I use newspaper and change it every day. I found shavings difficult to get off the fleece for washing.

I used puppy pads in the hay tray. This was after using shavings which were kicked/dragged out and ended up being troublesome to get off the fleece!

I have 2 IKEA plastic boxes - a bit like deep litter trays- they are lined with newspaper and then shavings with the hay on top. The shavings don't get kicked out at all from the boxes on to the fleece.

Back