hay racks

JaimeGraceUK

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I want better things to use for their hay but don't want them to get their heads stuck in them. any ideas?

You could just put loose piles in the cage and not use hayracks. Piggies like to hide underneath big piles of hay, lay in them etc

atm i fill cardboard boxes with hay with doors in it. they like to hide in that but cardboard boxes dont last long with my boys lol

You could get two cat litter trays, line with puppy pads and dump piles of hay in them. Or just do two piles on the floor of the cage.

I’d just add a second one. I wouldn’t use hay racks. I feel it restricts their fun factor and possibly even the amount they eat (minimally).

Putting hay in a big pile has been the best decision I ever made for our boys, Seeing their excited little faces when we top it up and then can dive in and hide in it is priceless. It’s brilliant enrichment for them and they love it!

We use large, plastic storage tubs as hay trays.
The high sides help contain the mess (a bit) and it allows the piggies to burrow, dig, sleep and play in their hay.

If you’re already using trays, then that, in my opinion, is already the best way to provide hay! Do ensure you provide more than one tray. Hayracks can be restrictive.

I use ferret litter trays in the hutch as hay trays but the hay doesn't stay in them for long. Very soon it's all over the place. In the run there is a HUGE pile of hay. Here are Lexi and Thea enjoying it.

Lexi Thea 1st run time 1.webp

Attachments

• Snugglesafes C M P.webp
    Snugglesafes C M P.webp
    113.4 KB · Views: 8
Back