Hay racks, hay stands, other alternatives?

vivian5

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Greetings! I am looking for suggestions on how to store hay in my girls' cage. I know quite a few piggy owners will use a large plastic box so their pigs can go in and eat and poo. Some other owners will use hay racks, hay bags or hay stands to store the hay. What would you suggest?

If you have any links to products, that would be greatly appreciated! :D

I have a ferret litter box for hay that goes in the hutch with a pee pad under the hay. I have also used old boxes that 6 bottles of wine come in or old boxes that have had 20 bottles of beer in for the hutch. The run in the garage just has a huge pile of hay in it and my piggies love nothing more than running in it, through it, making hay tunnels in it, hiding and eating their way out of it falling asleep in and on it, eating it, weeing and pooping on it.

Endless fun can be had with just a simple pile of hay! Until you have piggies you never appreciate the power of hay!

When using loose substrate I just throw a pile of hay in. When on fleece I use a tray to try and keep it contained. I only use hay bags for stalky hay after operations but have a softer hay on the ground in a pile. I've had a few pigs use hay bags as sleeping bags and some that just pull all the hay out and eat it off the floor.

I used to use a potting tray but my old lady was struggling to get in. I found a boot tray in IKEA which works well to contain a pile. I line that with a noodle mat so she doesn’t slip or sit in a puddle of pee.

I used to use a potting tray but my old lady was struggling to get in. I found a boot tray in IKEA which works well to contain a pile. I line that with a noodle mat so she doesn’t slip or sit in a puddle of pee.
Oh - goes off to research IKEA boot tray…..

I use large plastic storage tubs with a door way cut in. And also cat litter trays. I line them with newspaper before adding the mountain of hay.
Using trays is best for me as it stops the fleeces getting sodden so quickly. And also means I can carry the trays straight outside to empty in the paddock and my horses eat their left overs 🤣
B9736E6E-FB6F-4C7E-9C7E-44836A01BDC9.webp

Back