Hay rack recommendations

Jemima

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

So I've been feeding my piggies a gorgeous blend from HayBox, which they adore, but - it's very expensive! I still want to feed it to them, but I think the way I do it is not very economical, as I don't have a specific feeder and end up putting a lot of top ups in on their floor / hay tray / up stairs and currently stuffing it into a snuggle sack, which they empty out everywhere and then pee on, and it seems such a waste.

So, can I ask if anyone has a hay rack recommendation suited for a C&C that takes up minimal space?

Many thanks!

To us its a waste but to the piggies it’s fun! My two love nothing more than being (and peeing) in large piles of hay.

I use haybox meadow and haybox soft timothy. I spread the meadow around and then put in a couple of piles of the timothy. Yes the haybox meadow does make for an expensive bedding but all five of mine they love it! I could use a cheaper meadow hay for bedding but they won’t eat the pet shop meadow whereas they love eating the haybox meadow!

When I did use hayracks, I found they would pull all the hay out so they could get to it more easily and then eat it off the floor anyway (and of course pee and poop in it also). I used to have to fill them more times in a day than I do now using loose piles on the floor

I use a hay rack I made from C&C grids, it does take up quite a bit of space, but the piggies love it and you can put so much hay in it 🙂

Attachments

• 20210824_181858.webp
    20210824_181858.webp
    85.7 KB · Views: 9
I use a small cardboard box for this - the type that the front tears off to display sweets in a shop. This keeps all the feeding hay together and easy to access.

To us its a waste but to the piggies it’s fun! My two love nothing more than being (and peeing) in large piles of hay.

I use haybox meadow and haybox soft timothy. I spread the meadow around and then put in a couple of piles of the timothy. Yes the haybox meadow does make for an expensive bedding but all five of mine they love it! I could use a cheaper meadow hay for bedding but they won’t eat the pet shop meadow whereas they love eating the haybox meadow!

When I did use hayracks, I found they would pull all the hay out so they could get to it more easily and then eat it off the floor anyway (and of course pee and poop in it also). I used to have to fill them more times in a day than I do now using loose piles on the floor
I've just given them a handful on their floor and I am now working to the soothing sound of hay munching! (I'm waiting for the lawn to dry so I can put them out in their run!).

The hay box is a guilty pleasure for the piggies - guilty on my part as my husband doesn't know how much it costs! I do use hay from a bale for their bedding, which they also used to love eating, but since they've been introduced to this stuff, there is now no going back...

I've just given them a handful on their floor and I am now working to the soothing sound of hay munching! (I'm waiting for the lawn to dry so I can put them out in their run!).

The hay box is a guilty pleasure for the piggies - guilty on my part as my husband doesn't know how much it costs! I do use hay from a bale for their bedding, which they also used to love eating, but since they've been introduced to this stuff, there is now no going back...

I’m also waiting for the lawn to dry! The sun keeps trying to come out but it is taking it’s time today!

My elderly rabbit has always been so fussy over hay, one day a certain type is up to his tastes, the next it isn’t but since I’ve been using haybox he hasnt looked back either!
With five animals, the 20kg of haybox I get through in a month isn’t cheap but it’s the only hay I’ve found that they will all eat.

I use to use a wire cutlery rack, the type you put big spatulas and spoons in.

I now use an over the door rack from wilkos

Its bigger and has bigger gaps between the bars. I switched hay and the new hay had bigger longer strands so needed bigger gaps for the piggies to pull the hay through. I hang it on the side of the cage and put a clip either side so they cant pull it round the cage either.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210825-121433_Chrome.webp
    Screenshot_20210825-121433_Chrome.webp
    24.9 KB · Views: 7
I use to use a wire cutlery rack, the type you put big spatulas and spoons in.

I now use an over the door rack from wilkos

Its bigger and has bigger gaps between the bars. I switched hay and the new hay had bigger longer strands so needed bigger gaps for the piggies to pull the hay through. I hang it on the side of the cage and put a clip either side so they cant pull it round the cage either.
Great idea! I'll check this out. Thank you.

They do still pull lots of hay out onto the floor, but if I keep the rack full I at least know they have fresh, clean hay.

Back