Hay question.

Tara95

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hay all! I have recently brought a new very cheap bale of Hay that was I think around £6 to £8 for 14kg of meadow Hay. I have started buying cheap meadow Hay for bedding for atleast 4 months now but haven't used this bale before. I normally put this on top of puppy pads for their large cage and then they have the more expensive haybox Timothy Hay as eating Hay. The Hay has arrived late so I haven't cleaned the guinea pigs out for a week as I was waiting on this order of Hay. The only problem is it feels quite moist for Hay that is usually very dry. A bit like a cross between Hay and grass is the best way I can describe it. Here is a picture of the Hay which actually looks much greener in person. It has a very strong smell, kind of nice but very potent a bit like a farm. The guinea pigs seem to love this Hay and are going mad for which I'm surprised as they've very picky and it was very cheap. As you can see on the picture it says to use within 5 days? That can't be right? Would this be suitable bedding? I really need to clean them our today! Many thanks 😊 xx20220112_161121.webp

It says it’s haylage. I’ve seen this in my local horse supply shop. Not sure if it’s ok for piggies. ?

5D87FB15-A2CE-4532-9FC5-5319D46EB684.webpI found this. It’s an old thread though so may be out of date advice. 🤷‍♀️

Ohh no! I was reading somewhere else you can but you just need to use it within 5 days. That's probably why they loved is so much as it's an alternative to fresh grass!

I have just read that they can only have a bit of it. Wonder if it would be okay as bedding.. as they don't tend to eat much of their bedding x

I’m not sure if it is ok or not. Sorry. Hopefully someone will be along soon who knows for sure.

I would be concerned about the fermenting to be honest, fermentation releases gas, which will lead to bloating, this can be fatal to guinea pigs. I personally feed a wide range of different types of hays but I wouldnt use haylage at all, it isnt worth the risk for me personally.

I would be concerned about the fermenting to be honest, fermentation releases gas, which will lead to bloating, this can be fatal to guinea pigs. I personally feed a wide range of different types of hays but I wouldnt use haylage at all, it isnt worth the risk for me personally.
Thank you I won't risk it! I've never heard of hayage before! Would it be okay for a few hours do you think? So they can play with all the hay and then I'll bin it x

I've always thought haylage was a big no for piggies. Vale Bale also sell lovely meadow hay my boys are eating it mixed with their hay box timothy.

haylage is fed to horses
I wouldn’t use it for piggies
I've always thought haylage was a big no for piggies. Vale Bale also sell lovely meadow hay my boys are eating it mixed with their hay box timothy.
Thank you guys. I didn't realise it was hayage. I just thought it was normal meadow Hay until I read the use within 5 days (which I thought was weird). I haven't actually heard of hayage tbh!

Haylage always smelt a bit like bananas to me - I quite liked it.
It isn't suitable for piggies as it is bagged while still green/moist which makes it a richer food for horses than regular hay.
But it is too rich for guinea pigs and could cause bloating issues.

Thank you @Swissgreys Me and my boyfriend did give them a few handfuls (between 7) before we realised it wasn't meadow hay! Which they all ate happily. Obviously haven't given them anymore apart from fresh Timothy hay. Hopefully those little bits won't have done them any harm xx

Back