Hay quality question

_ASTYuu_

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I bought a 15kg timothy hay bale from here: Kleine balen Timothy hooi - 15 kg

Does this look like good quality hay?
the color seems a bit off putting.
f9rquf0dhbra1.jpg

I know its sounds silly, but what does it smell like? Good quality hay should smell nice and sweet a bit like honey. I've bought hay that looks a golden colour like your bale and my piggies have been fine with it. Hay quality depends on so many factors like how the weather was, the quality of the ground, was it first cut etc.

It looks fine to me. Hay doesn't have to be green to be good quality. I would go more by the smell, it shouldn't smell musty atall.

The hay I get for my two can look like that, they don't mind it at all.

I know its sounds silly, but what does it smell like? Good quality hay should smell nice and sweet a bit like honey. I've bought hay that looks a golden colour like your bale and my piggies have been fine with it. Hay quality depends on so many factors like how the weather was, the quality of the ground, was it first cut etc.
I'm gonna have a good smell when i get home, but i remember it smelling like.. typical farm smell i guess 🤔

Open up the bale and have a good sniff right in the middle of it.
I'm guessing that if something is wrong with it it will really stand out? it does smell different from my other hay but I'm guessing thats normal.

I took a little of it and gave it to the pigs and they seem to really like it so far.

I'm guessing that if something is wrong with it it will really stand out? it does smell different from my other hay but I'm guessing thats normal.

I took a little of it and gave it to the pigs and they seem to really like it so far.
Yes it would really stand out. You would know if it smelt "off" . As long as you piggies like it that's the main thing.

Open up the bale and have a good sniff right in the middle of it.
And then sneeze for the rest of the day!

It looks fine. It's a little stalky but it looks like there's plenty of edible stuff in there. The pigs are the real judge, at the end of the day. The proof of the pudding is in the eating!

It looks a bit straw like to me. It's doesn't look particularly good quality to me. But that doesn't mean they won't eat some of it.

Back