• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Hay poke worry

*Roger*Jasper*

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm almost certain my Bramble has hay poke, all the usual signs ive seen in my previous pigs with the same.. I managed to call my vet 5 mins before they closed and they've given me an appointment for tomorrow.. I've seen in other posts a lot of recommendations is to be seen within 24hrs.. my question is, will she be OK until then or is there anything I can do at home to help? I couldn't actually see any hay in her eye when I looked but it was starting to go cloudy blue and it's barely open.. any advise is greatly appreciated xSnapchat-388156080.webp20240819_182048.webp

Hi everyone, I'm almost certain my Bramble has hay poke, all the usual signs ive seen in my previous pigs with the same.. I managed to call my vet 5 mins before they closed and they've given me an appointment for tomorrow.. I've seen in other posts a lot of recommendations is to be seen within 24hrs.. my question is, will she be OK until then or is there anything I can do at home to help? I couldn't actually see any hay in her eye when I looked but it was starting to go cloudy blue and it's barely open.. any advise is greatly appreciated xView attachment 255101View attachment 255102

Hi

She will be OK since there is no sign of bleeding in the eye, so it is a next day and not a very expensive out-of-hours emergency. It does look rather painful though, poor Bramble. If you happen to hv some metacam at home, give a little.

What you can do now is to see whether you can get some tear gel from your pharmacy or order it online for delivery tomorrow. Any carbomer based brand will do; they are pretty much all the same. The tear gel helps with comfort and hydration and will helpto speed up the healing process by creating an ideal environment deeper in the eye as well. We recommend to have something like viscotears gel at home at all times. Hay pokes are a fact of life - and you can use it as well.

In a pinch plain tear drops from the supermarket will be better than nothing but still or the gel; the drops are not as effective and long lasting. Gel you can put in 3 times and drops up to 6 times a day; try to space them out, leaving a sleeping block for yourself.

The gel you can apply to the eye surface, making sure that it is not stuck on top of a lid. For drops you gently pull down the lower eyelid and aim into the gap. It may take a few tries.

All the best.

My Bramble is currently being treated for haypoke. I always have a tube of Viscotears at home (available from any pharmacy just don't tell them it's for a guinea pig). She has Isathal drops until Thursday (it was for 7 days) and Viscotears half an hour later. I'm sure your Bramble will be fine after her vet visit and eye drops course.

My Bramble is currently being treated for haypoke. I always have a tube of Viscotears at home (available from any pharmacy just don't tell them it's for a guinea pig). She has Isathal drops until Thursday (it was for 7 days) and Viscotears half an hour later. I'm sure your Bramble will be fine after her vet visit and eye drops course.
Thanks so much, glad your Bramble is on the mend🥰

She had the dye put in her eye which revealed an ulcer covering a large amount of her eye. The vet said its more superficial and have given her some antibiotic drops and pain relief, and then I'll take her back on Friday for a check up☺️

Please also use the gel. Wait at least half an our after the antibiotic drops to give them time to b absorbed. The hydration helps with the itchiness that can come of the antibiotic and helps with speeding up the healing.

Back