Hay outdoor storage

Jess565

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I am thinking of buying an outdoor storage box to keep hay in, I usually get two X2 5k boxes a month from hay box and our house is really suffering for space. I have been keeping it under the stairs in the cardboard boxes it comes in. Would it be ok to store this out side in a storage box still in the cardboard? Can the temperature changes with night and day make the hay get smelly and damp? Would bugs be an issue if I keep it out doors?
I'm just trying to weigh up the pros and cons because they are a few hundred pounds and I don't want it to be useless.

I keep a large amount of my hay outside.
I keep it in a large black bin with a twist and lock lid, and it is up again the house and under the eaves, so not directly in the rain (although in really bad whether the bin does get wet).
This seems to work well and I have never had a problem with the hay going smelly or damp. But I also only store enough out there for a few weeks worth and make sure I empty the bin fully before refiling so the hay at the bottom doesn't hang around for ages.
bugs are also not an issue - I don't really think hay is particularly appealing to them.

I used to keep hay (and in fact all my equipment) in a storage box - for years and years it was all I had for storage purposes. I never had any problems with it being in there.

Back