Hay not in plastic packaging?

Monykutzu

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I feed my piggies timothy & meadow hay from PAH, mostly I throw it away when I clean them but it comes in plastic packaging. I am trying to get rid of so much plastic in the house and the biggest offenders in my household are the pigs and the cat! I throw away a few plastic bags a day either from peppers, lettuce or cat food. How do you manage and did you find hay in boxes/paper?

I believe GuineaDad sells timothy hay in boxes, unfortunately they only ship to US/are out of stock sometimes :(

I try and use less plastic as well. I currently buy from hay and straw as I love how long the strands of ings hay are. I buy in 9.5kg lots so even though it comes in plastic it is less than buying small shop brought lots. I have kept a few of the plastic sacks too for if I pick up local farm hay at all so they get reused. I did buy from haybox but I love to give my piggies the chance to burrow into a nice big pile and, although amazingly green, I was a little disappointed in how short the strands were. Perhaps I have been spoilt by hay and straw or perhaps I should email them to encourage green packaging

We have had hay from hay box, healthy herby and happy hay co all of which comes in cardboard boxes, it’s more expensive that PAH hay but the quality across the board is far superior, they all do taster packs to so your piggies can pick which one is their favourite!

Healthy Herby send their hay out in boxes and they're printed with inks that are pet safe so they can be reused as hides later.

Thank you everyone, I am going to have a look and buy some hay in a box, and I've now planted some lettuce, coriander, parsley and carrot seeds as well so they will have some home-grown veg soon as well.

The hay from the Timothy hay website is now being sold in cardboard boxes instead of plastic. I’m not sure if they switched to boxes because they were easier to sanitise due to covid, or if it’s a decision separate from that. I’m hoping they don’t revert back to the plastic, anyway.

Back