Hay not being eaten if is not central?

naguya

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So, I am innovating in the positioning of objects in the cage. They use all the objects and places when I change them, but I noticed that if I don't put the hay in the central they don't eat much from other places.

I've already put the hay on the sides, I've already put it on the sides of the hiding places, I have toys that go hay inside, but they barely eat any of them if is not in the center of the cage, if the hay is in the middle of the cage they eat it all normally and all of it!

I would like to know if I should keep trying, or leave it at the center? I've tried for several days and they eat just a little. Some people told me that it's good to stimulate their brains around the cage, so I started coming up with new ideas for places for the hay, but I see it isn't working since they don't eat unless it is on the center?

They are two boars, both of them have the same behavior related to hay.

I forgot to say, when I put vegetables/leaves or treats around the cage they eat just fine. It is just when comes about the hay position!

Just keep the hay to the middle of the cage - moving the position of their hay isn’t anything important at all and isn’t what stimulates their brains - it’s being able to forage through the hay which is the important bit. Make sure they have lots of it at all times and that it is loose so they can get right into it and play in it.

Just keep the hay to the middle of the cage - moving the position of their hay isn’t anything important at all and isn’t what stimulates their brains - it’s being able to forage through the hay which is the important bit. Make sure they have lots of it at all times and that it is loose so they can get right into it and play in it.
They get a fresh huge pile of hay everyday, even if I move the same pile to another place they stop eating! It is so confusing!

I will keep it on the middle! Thank you!

Back