• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Hay mites? Or something else.

Kate0

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Gave my girls a little bottom bath this eve as one of the longer-haired ones was in need.

However, noticed then to my horror, that my aby appeared to have a heavy mites infestation.

Lots of tiny specs and some clearly visible -maybe 0.5mm.

Will book vet apt tomorrow, but in meantime, and our of curiosity, I took some of the specks and looked at them under microscope.

Expecting to see mites, instead found what looks like skin flakes? Are these dead mites/eggs? Ive since collected many more samples, and they all look like a variation on this. Ie nothing like an egg case/with legs.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• PXL_20241013_200653963.webp
    PXL_20241013_200653963.webp
    39.6 KB · Views: 1
Gave my girls a little bottom bath this eve as one of the longer-haired ones was in need.

However, noticed then to my horror, that my aby appeared to have a heavy mites infestation.

Lots of tiny specs and some clearly visible -maybe 0.5mm.

Will book vet apt tomorrow, but in meantime, and our of curiosity, I took some of the specks and looked at them under microscope.

Expecting to see mites, instead found what looks like skin flakes? Are these dead mites/eggs? Ive since collected many more samples, and they all look like a variation on this. Ie nothing like an egg case/with legs.

Any ideas?

Hi

Mites are not visible to the naked eye. In order to test for hay mites, you run our fingers down the hairs. The minuscule egg cases that are fixed to the hairs of the underlay (about 1 mm) should feel like beads on a string.

We can not tell you what you are exactly dealing with sight unseen and without access to your piggy. Good that you are having them seen by a vet.

Dark scales as you describe them aren't typical for any of the guinea pig specific parasites. With mange mites you would first note some very vigorous frequent itching and lice are visible, pale crawling things in the coat. Guinea pigs can occasionally catch an infestation from another pet but it is usually very short lived since they are not the right host.

Back