Hay/Grass alternative

Saskia500

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi. I have just joined this forum having followed it for some time but now I am in need of help!

About 6 months ago after plenty of discussion and research we decided to buy a pair of sows, they were around 11 weeks old at the time.
A few days after bringing them home my husband went for his annual overseas posting, I along our children cared for the guineas. Upon my husbands return he developed allergies, after a medical appointment and blood tests it was confirmed he has a high allergy to Timothy grass! We assume other types of grass will also have a negative impact on his allergies.

So my question is can we keep our much loved pets fit and healthy without fresh Timothy grass in their diet? Could Timothy hay pellets be an alternative, along side other foods?

Currently their diet, along hay/grass has been pellets which contain Timothy hay, vit C supplements, fresh veggies, and the occasional fruit treats. For play and to help keep their teeth in check we have natural wood and wicker play balls/toys and boredom breakers.

Finally our guineas live indoors.

Thank you

:wel:

I'm sorry to hear that.

Grass hay must always be 80% of their daily food intake (veg and pellets are merely snacks). It’s essential for gut function and dental health (toys and wicker balls don’t work molars so won’t help dental health). Pellets must only ever be one tablespoon per pig per day and never form the main part of their diet (they don’t wear down the teeth and too many pellets aren’t healthy for them). Pellets are the one thing they can go without in their diet, but they can never go without hay and the addition of fresh grass where possible

Any grass hay (doesn’t have to be timothy) is fine but if those are like to upset your husbands allergies , then looking at a different way to keep your piggies may be an alternative - in a shed for example - so he doesn’t have to come into contact with their hay?

Don't give up hope.
I am highly allergic to certain grasses and pollen, but perfectly fine with others.
There is no rhyme or reason to this!

So if he is allergic to Timothy grass/hay then look into alternative hays to feed.
Are the guinea pigs in a main living area of somewhere separate?
Obviously your husband should avoid feeding them, but you could also run an air purifier near their cage to limit the spread of allergens.

Hi and thank you for your replies. That is pretty much what I feared I would hear, I know it's incredibly selfish but these girls are now a massive part of our family.

Unfortunately, an outdoor option may be a struggle. The shed is full with everything that comes with having a house & kids, the rear garden resembles a playground, goal posts, swings, and all manner of things. I'd be worried how they would suddenly adapt to living outdoors in a hutch, the noise from the kids especially with a number of sports games being played I'd be terrified of a ball flying in their direction!

The guineas are in the main living area, what is the kids room wouldn't be a good location. I guess trying a range of grass/hay is our best option and hope we find one. I will do more research on the varieties.

Thank you

Hay is the base of the piggie diet... however, don't assume that an allergy to timothy hay will translate to an allergy to all hay or grasses. Many people are allergic to one hay or not others.

I'm sorry you're having these troubles. I've heard that orchard grass hay is better for allergies, but I'm no expert. It may be worth giving it a go 🙂👍

Thank you again for taking the time to reply. We are trying different types of hay, fingers crossed.

Timothy hay is most allergenic but even different timothy hays can be better than others- I am extremely allergic to Science Selective timothy hay, wheezing, sneezing, eye irritation, skin rash- but I am fine with Haybox timothy which is much less dusty, also meadow hay is mostly fine. Worth trying different brands x

Thanks pigglepuggle and apologies to one and all, it would have been helpful if I'd mentioned in the beginning the type of hay used 🤦‍♀️ - it was science selective timothy hay.

I am also severely allergic to Timothy hay sneezing and tight chest! I now take a prescribed antihistamine everyday and we feed the pigs meadow hay which doesn’t trigger my allergies anywhere near as much!
I hope you can find a solution that works for you!

Morning all and thanks again for all of your replies.

We've been trying out other types of hay and from reading the 'A Comprehensive Hay Guide for Guinea Pigs (incl. providers in several countries)' posted on the forum, specifically one of the links written on UK suppliers.

If I may add a further question please... (pasted here) 'Hay Box, sell there own brand of Timothy and meadow hay: Hay Box - Premium Quality Hay Direct from Farm | Perfect for Rabbits'

Is this actually ok for guineas? We took some of a friend and my husband appears, so far🤞ok with it. However, is it ok for guinea pigs as the pictures from the website show rabbits? Forgive me if I'm having a blonde moment! 🤷‍♀️

I use HayBox hay, buying it on subscription and it’s wonderful hay.
The guinea pigs love it.
To be honest I hadn’t actually noticed that the website said it was for rabbits.
I just work on the basis that hay is what piggies eat.

It’s absolutely fine for guinea pigs - grass hay is grass hay and is absolutely fine for both
Ive used haybox on subscription for almost two years now for all my rabbits and piggies and it’s the best hay I’ve ever found.

That's great news and thanks for the update - people in the future searching for an answer to the same problem will take hope from hubby's result!

Back