Hay Everywhere!

Merry2018

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all!

I need some help getting rid of the hay all over my house. Somehow the hay has left the piggie room and made it all the way down the hall. (We have carpets) I need a recommendation for a vacuum that will actually suction up this hay! My current vacuum just pushes it all around. Any recommendations are appreciated!

We find out Dyson sucks it all up, but hay everywhere is sort of part of the joy of owning piggies!

I have a shark hoover that's excellent at picking up hay. Hay still gets all over the house, in the bed, up the stairs, in the bathroom, over the chairs .....

I have a Vax air lift (I think the "steerable") and it's doing a great job at getting up the hay that gets *all* over the carpet! I just wish the hay didn't reappear half an hour after hoovering...

I use my shop vac and that takes care of the hay on clothes and the furniture.

Honestly, I use a broom most of the time. Hay seems to clog up my Dyson handheld, and even the shop vac gets clogged! But I have hardwood floors on the level where the pigs live, and just an area rug near their cages.

But yes! Hay everywhere is right!

Dyson animal ball 2 - fantastic for all things animal. I got it to help with hay, but mostly Husky hair all over the place!
For cleaning the piggy room, I find our Henry hoover best, as it can get rid of so much poop and hay without blocking up 👍🏻

Our Dyson copes well with the hay and the piggy hair. I do use a rubber broom to get rid of the longer bits of hay before i vacuum.

I'll second that. I gave up on removing hay stuck inside the hoover and it's the rubber broom that gets the hay up, then I hoover.

Mostly given up! I find hay in places the piggies don’t go, especially good at working its way upstairs!
Our downstairs is hard floors, so I sweep as best as I can, but within 5 mins of cleaning I usually spot more hay on the floor.

After years of struggling with hoovers blocked with hay the only one I found that could cope was a vax commercial. Then I moved house, got a vinyl floor I can sweep and it has changed my life!

Thank you all so much for the advice! It helps knowing it isn’t just me who’s struggling with hay everywhere :)

We have a shark hoover too. The rotating bristle bars seem to help pick up the hay.

We have the pet one so it comes with a smaller attachment with rotating bristle bar that we can use in the stairs.

Hi all!

I need some help getting rid of the hay all over my house. Somehow the hay has left the piggie room and made it all the way down the hall. (We have carpets) I need a recommendation for a vacuum that will actually suction up this hay! My current vacuum just pushes it all around. Any recommendations are appreciated!

I’m really into cleaning, especially vacuuming! We have two norwegian forest cats and two piggies so the dirt that gets around my house is crazy haha.
I used to have a dyson animal v7 which was good but I recently switched to the vax blade 4 animal and I cannot recommend it enough! It’s brilliant and you can purchase extra batteries should you need to :-)

I don’t mind the hay so much. It’s the wood shavings that I find get everywhere. My daughter went out for a long walk and had to stop as she had them in her trainers. My dog gets them stuck in his “beard”! Oh the joys of piggies. 😍

Honestly a shop vac is a lifesaver here. I used to break vacuums constantly and then I got my shop vac. Works like a charm picking up hay and it takes me like 5 minutes tops to clean up after the guinea pigs! super useful and easy to unclog too. It does cost a lot but it's definitely worth it.

Back