Hay bugs

EditaN

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello! I've tried many hay brands, but they all have the same bugs, is it alright that these type of bugs live in the hay? And is it safe for guinea pigs eat? i've tried google imaging, but i dont really find anything similar, they are rather small, but i see them crawling around the hay dust after cleaning the bigger pieces.

Attachments

• 20240828_230924.webp
    20240828_230924.webp
    41.9 KB · Views: 3
Does the hay definitely have them when it arrives? Reason I say this is I had a problem with booklice. But it was my own home infecting the hay as soon as I put it in my house. Booklice can quite like hay and cardboard. I stopped buying hay in cardboard boxes but had to treat my home. They like humid environments.

I'm like 85% sure, that they come with the hay, but how do you get rid of them if there is a infestation?

I'm like 85% sure, that they come with the hay, but how do you get rid of them if there is a infestation?
You want to get your home to 50% humidity with a dehumidifier that you keep on all the time. Takes weeks of keeping humidity low.

Also, clean any mould with white vinegar. They feed off mould too. You can spray rooms with indorex, it stays active quite a while if you don't wash it off. All over the carpet, window sills etc. But do not spray this while your pigs or any other animals or fish or their food is in the room. You have to close the door leave the treatment to work and air it completely out first. Because not dried and in the air is dangerous to animals. It kills insects but you don't want animals breathing it in either.

I used indorex but I didn't have my pigs or their stuff in there for a few days after. But if you have booklice you have to deal with the root cause which is high humidity or damp. I've just moved into a new home and seeing signs of them. But when I moved in it was 80% humidity and had mould on the windows and damp. So hardly surprising.

I dont see mold in my apartment anywhere, dont know about the humidity levels, will have to buy a device to measure it.
Could there be other reasons without the humidity? They are only in the hay as i've seen, very very little, got the image by making it x10 bigger, but they scuttle in the little parts of hay.

I dont see mold in my apartment anywhere, dont know about the humidity levels, will have to buy a device to measure it.
Could there be other reasons without the humidity? They are only in the hay as i've seen, very very little, got the image by making it x10 bigger, but they scuttle in the little parts of hay.
If it's booklice it's normally humidity issues. Is the hay coming in cardboard boxes or bags?

I only buy the ones in the plastic bags, theres not many in cardboard boxes that i've seen, they probably arrive in boxes tho

Back