Hay blocks

Cookieandcrumble

New Born Pup
Reaction score
At the moment my 2 piggies have the choice of meadow hay and the hard round compressed hay blocks, they seem to use the meadow hay for sleeping in and eat a lot of the blocks, is this ok or should I be encouraging to eat more of the meadow hay?

Ideally you want them to be eating the meadow hay as that will help to wear their teeth down, the hay blocks are normally made up of lots of little bits and it won’t have the same affect, I would remove the blocks and just give them as a treat every now and then, that’s what I do.

:agr:

Hay blocks won’t do much for their teeth and won’t provide enough food wise. They are not something I would give as a main or even alternative hay source - they are a bit of entertainment more than anything else

I agree, the hay blocks are more of a treat- not encouraging natural foraging behaviour where they plough through the hay rummaging for the best bits, and also they make quite a mess of the cage floor- the short hay bits are quite dusty once knawed then clump and go sludgy once they get peed on. Mine only get this sort of thing on newspaper in their play pen usually, then I can clear away the mess a couple of hours later when they go home!

Back