Hay bathing?

ZenexPiggies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey there, I have 5 piggies and I have noticed especially in the last 5 weeks that they all like to take a big nap in the hay. I have a 7x3 cage + an extra 1x3 room for hay, and they all like to go in there and take a big nap, but not at the same time, maximum 2 at the time. Whenever 3 or more is there they start fighting over who gets to nap in the hay. They also sometimes just run around in circles in through enterance 1 out through enterance 2 and they'll do it for 10 minutes not even chasing each othr, just running in circles. Just wonderin' if it's normal or not?

If only having one hay area is causing issues, then I would add another couple of hay areas, so they all have somewhere to go in the hay if they want to. Being amongst lots of hay for playing in, sleeping in etc is great enrichment for piggies. For five piggies, I’d personally have at least three hay areas

The running about just sounds as if they are having a good time

If only having one hay area is causing issues, then I would add another couple of hay areas, so they all have somewhere to go in the hay if they want to. Being amongst lots of hay for playing in, sleeping in etc is great enrichment for piggies. For five piggies, I’d personally have at least three hay areas

The running about just sounds as if they are having a good time
I'll add more, thank you!

Hey there, I have 5 piggies and I have noticed especially in the last 5 weeks that they all like to take a big nap in the hay. I have a 7x3 cage + an extra 1x3 room for hay, and they all like to go in there and take a big nap, but not at the same time, maximum 2 at the time. Whenever 3 or more is there they start fighting over who gets to nap in the hay. They also sometimes just run around in circles in through enterance 1 out through enterance 2 and they'll do it for 10 minutes not even chasing each othr, just running in circles. Just wonderin' if it's normal or not?

Hi and welcome
This is perfectly normal behaviour; keep in mind that the group hierarchy and reinforcing it as your piggies grow into teenagers is also playing a role in who is allowed in with who or chucked out. You may want to enlarge the hay area or have another hay tray somewhere else. Sometimes piggies want to nap close together; at other times they prefer to have their own spot for themselves.

Have a look through these links to understand more:
Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs (including hay baths)

'Popcorning' (jumping) and 'zooming' (running) - joy and exuberance (videos)
A - Z of Guinea Pig Behaviours

All these guides are part of our very helpful and practical New Owners How-to information resource for a good start. You may want to bookmark the link, browse, read and look something up at need while you are learning what is normal and what not.
Getting Started - Essential Information for New Owners

Yes, I got my first ones about 6 years ago, but didnt discover the forum until recrntly. I've seen them popcorning, but nor running so it was a new one. I used to have 3 hay racks and only recently msde a big room for hay only

Back