Hay as bedding?

• Thread starter Thread starter CavyChick777
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CavyChick777

Does anyone on this forum use hay as bedding? I do, and my guinea piggies LOVE it! :smitten: They burrow in it, eat it, play in it, etc. My piggies are trained to do their 'business' in these really cool litter trays I ordered online. Does anyone else do this too? It works for me.
Irene x

Ooh yes! We do...my piggies are very happy on hay bedding ;D ;D

Never tried litter trays tho...although my piggies do seem to wee in the same 2 places every time, so i usually put an extra bit of shredded paper down on those bits.

I love the smell of fresh hay, I don't think i'd use anything else!

Yes, there is nothing like the smell of fresh hay. Sometimes after I clean their cages it smells SO heavenly, I could jump in with them! :D
If you noticed the guineas peeing in one spot, well, you can use even a little box with some shredded paper?
I dunno...anything to keep it in one spot LOL
Irene x

I use hay, tons of it! Mine pee everywhere though so it would to be one big litter box ;D

I have tried one of those ltter things, but as the boys get older and more destructive, it just got tossed everywhere, and the girls are tidy anyway ;D ;D ;D

I think most people on here use one type of hay for bedding, and better quality fot the hay rack :)

Yeah, the hay I use for the bedding is not the best, but what I put in the hay rack is top-quality. I am a devoted slave to my guinea piggies, they have me wrapped around their little front paws! LOL :smitten:

CavyChick777 said:
Yeah, the hay I use for the bedding is not the best, but what I put in the hay rack is top-quality. I am a devoted slave to my guinea piggies, they have me wrapped around their little front paws! LOL :smitten:

same here, lol my boss piggy bob throws a right strop if i dont buy him the timothy hay with dandelions and stuff in. he has plain timothy hay at the min, and looks at me as if to say, "is this it?!?" lol I'm definately their slave

with regards to bedding i also use a lower quality for bedding, and the piggies popcorn all over the place when theyve just being cleaned :smitten:

I dont use hay as bedding and wont either. Both my pigs this year have had injures from them and 1 of my piggies nearly went blind. The hay was in the hay rack as well

I use Hay. I have used woodshavings but won't anymore now I know the dangers of it. Usually it was a layer of wood shavings and they tons of hay!

I have a hay rack and I use top quality hay with dandillion and marigold the boys love it!

Louise
:)

Piggiewiggy said:
I don't use hay as bedding and wont either. Both my pigs this year have had injures from them and 1 of my piggies nearly went blind. The hay was in the hay rack as well
? I don't think you understand what I really meant. I dont use the stiff, straw-like hay for bedding OR for the hay rack as I know the dangers of potential eye injuries. I use the softest grass hay can find! It is always so soft and when it dries out too much or gets soiled I replace it...with more soft hay! Either way, guinea pigs must always have an unlimited amount of hay that is easily acessed, it is an important part of their diet.

i use a cheaper hay for bedding, and buy the greenest hay or timothy hay for eating

Yeah I've got a whole bale of hay for the hay rack, it's so green and soft but I use the cheap stuff for the bedding. Cheap, but soft all the same.

ah but what happens when your pig wont eat hay from the hay rack have to use the same hay for both so I normally give them dried grass as a treat every other day.

Koko and her girls Summer and Hippie normally eat out of the hay rack, they like the top-quality stuff LOL
The other stuff is treated as bedding, they dont eat it.

Oh i do ;D ;D Mine always popcorn when i put fresh hay as bedding down they nibble it all up so i have to put more down for them :smitten:

all my lot have hay as bedding,I use Medow hay and buy it by the trailer load ;D

I buy hay by the bale and line the whole hutch with it mine love to hide under it ;D

Pumpkin, hope you don't mind me asking but where do you buy your bales from? I could do with buying it this way! :)

Thanks!

Louise

hehe my piggie would munch down ALL the hay!! ;D ;D I use Carefresh bedding, btw sometimes he even tries to eat that!! :D

SunshineAndTwinkle said:
Pumpkin, hope you don't mind me asking but where do you buy your bales from? I could do with buying it this way! :)

Thanks!

Louise
Farm shop ;) or the little pet shop near me does it for £2 a bag

HAY HAY HAY and more HAY! PIGGIES L0VE THE STUFF remember they are grazers in the wild they love grass when in thier run

Liam O0

mine absoloutely LOOOOVE hay! they pop corn around soo much. :) they also need lots of it for digestion etc. O0 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back