Hay And Cage Liners

Status
Not open for further replies.

minipig

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I've been thinking about investing in some cage liners because I find buying sawdust quite expensive and I like the idea of cage liners because they can be machine washed and are more eco friendly :)
I was wondering what you do to feed hay when you have a cage liner? I don't want to just shove it on the floor because I know they poo where they eat and they'd make a mess, I want them to have a separate area for sleeping and eating, right now they have a little ledge where their food and hay goes.
Should I just leave the ledge or buy a small box or something for their hay to go in?
Any advice would be appreciated :luv:

Mine have litter trays .Line with newspaper then shavings or other bedding then the hay.Mine love it.If you.have cortex you could make a hay box to go under the shelf.They will probably use it if it is covered.I also have towels and extra fleece under their hideys that gets changed when wet.Good luck.I find fleece a lot easier.you can peg the fleece as well so they can't dig

you can use cat litter trays and fill them with hay, or cut an extra box from corex with a door in to use for hay, it depends what kind of cage you have really, maybe if you had a picture?

Mine have litter trays .Line with newspaper then shavings or other bedding then the hay.Mine love it.If you.have cortex you could make a hay box to go under the shelf.They will probably use it if it is covered.I also have towels and extra fleece under their hideys that gets changed when wet.Good luck.I find fleece a lot easier.you can peg the fleece as well so they can't dig
you can use cat litter trays and fill them with hay, or cut an extra box from corex with a door in to use for hay, it depends what kind of cage you have really, maybe if you had a picture?
I have a Ferplast 100, this is it here :)
Can I ask what Corex is? :help:
I quite like the idea of a cat litter tray :)

Mine have a free-standing hay rack which although they like to tip it over on a regular basis, it keeps the majority of it off the floor. I've got past the point of trying to keep their cage tidy lol

Do you have a run attached.If not the cage is too small for two.Recommended minimum size is 120x60cm. How old are they and what sex? The lack of space could cause squabbles .For that size cage a cat litter tray would be better but please think about extending if you don't have a run attached

Do you have a run attached.If not the cage is too small for two.Recommended minimum size is 120x60cm. How old are they and what sex? The lack of space could cause squabbles .For that size cage a cat litter tray would be better but please think about extending if you don't have a run attached
They don't have a run attached but they get lots of floor time, one is two and the other is two months.
Can't really afford to buy a bigger cage seeing as I just forked out £70 for their current set up and I've not got a lot of room

what i do is use a cage liner for 3/4 of the cage, and then the other 1/4 i put hay in so they can burrow etc and then i can change that more regularly without having to change all the cage. usually have to do it twice a day though as they mostly toilet there. i would put a tray there (the big garden potting trays with the low side would be ideal) but my maisie has a stiff ankle joint so i don't want her having to step over anything. but i do think those trays would be ideal then you could change those daily without having to change everything!

It can be that cage liners arent cheaper (electricity+laundry powder+tumble dryer in winter) than shavings if bought in horse bales :-) horse sized 20kg bales are only £6 so far cheaper than pet shops :-)

It can be that cage liners arent cheaper (electricity+laundry powder+tumble dryer in winter) than shavings if bought in horse bales :-) horse sized 20kg bales are only £6 so far cheaper than pet shops :-)
Where can I get horse sized 20k bales that have the dust extracted? thanks

I use cage liners and I put it all in a pile but if you dont want that then i would suggest that you would get a hay rack or an extra grid from a c&c cage and bend it into a u shape and hook it to the cage with zipties or something like that...good luck :D

I use cage liners. I either hay a litter tray and then a hay rack above, or a pee pad/soaker pad under the hay rack. I then daily just sweep up and shake the pee pads and change them every day or so depending on how much they wee. I tend to find mine eat where they pee, so i change the pee pads daily....cuts down on the pee on the actual liner also.

I use cage liners. I either hay a litter tray and then a hay rack above, or a pee pad/soaker pad under the hay rack. I then daily just sweep up and shake the pee pads and change them every day or so depending on how much they wee. I tend to find mine eat where they pee, so i change the pee pads daily....cuts down on the pee on the actual liner also.
Great advice thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back