Hay advice

Guineapoops2022

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi guys I’m just wondering if anyone can advise me on hay as I’m currently using pets at home Timothy and meadow but the guinea pigs have had mites for some time currently on second different treatment to try and get them gone and I’m worried it could be the hay bringing them in… we tried Timothy blend from haybox and unfortunately this ended with dark squashy poops all over the guineas faces paws the cage it wasn’t good but I would like to get hay from haybox or another good brand to try and avoid more mites! I feel haybox and other brands seem safer… please help

You could just try the meadow hay from haybox or the coarse Timothy.
The blend contains the soft Timothy which may have been too rich for them.

I used to use haybox meadow all the time (I have now found a local farm where I can buy bales as it’s cheaper) and had no problems with it. Mine are still getting a small amount of the soft Timothy from haybox mixed in for some variety.

Thank you 🙏 I’m worried to try more from hay box and it end squishy again but overall would you say the risk is less buying from a company either haybox or similar when it comes to hay mites? I’m not very hopefully about this spot on seems to have made everyone more itchy we shall see but I’m at the point where I’m scared to open bags of hay and when I’m doing their hay I don’t want to even put it in cage incase I’m re infecting them nightmare! They haven’t had any of their usual stuff cardboard tunnels carrot houses for months just 2 litter trays and 4 plastic hides I feel bad and like they are fed up stuck in their cage with hardly anything 😞 I hope they are ok poor pigs x

Back