Having a stupid amount of trouble finding C&C grids the correct size

MichelleM

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm working on making a loft/bunk for Merlin's cage similar to this: How to Build a C&C Guinea Pig Bunk Bed

But I can't find any grids that will actually fit! Merlin's cage is 24 inches (~70cm) across and ALL I can find online to buy are either:

1) The entire bloody cage, which I don't need; I just need a couple extra grids.
2) Grids that are 14" long, meaning one is too short and two would be too long to fit.

I can find the coroplast no problem, but I can't seem to find the grids! Does anyone know where I can find grids the proper size without me having to buy an entire new cage to harvest from? Thank you!

Try cage creations, I think they're the 14" but they do sell small amounts.
Edit, just seen that you are U.S. Probably not worth the postage!

Could you find some on Amazon and just buy the smallest number?

Also, I'm doing that DIY bunk bed now. It seems like a cute idea. 💗

Could you find some on Amazon and just buy the smallest number?

Also, I'm doing that DIY bunk bed now. It seems like a cute idea. 💗
Searched all over Amazon and couldn't find anything the size I needed without just buying the whole dang cage again :(

I rummaged through the closet to find the box it came in and found a separator grid I never used. It has a door on it, but it shouldn't be an issue since I'm layering it with coroplast anyway. Still frustrating that I can't find individual grids the size I need. I will definitely look into ebay if I decide I need a second grid to make a top cover for it, though!

Thank you to everyone for your help! See below for the reason why I need to make a loft to begin with. Merlin's used the hammock lookout before (seen in the bottom right in his brothers' pen), so he reasoned his canopy bed worked the same way. :D

I was going to just buy a loft with a ramp, but sizing was an issue there, too. Plus doing it this way will make it bigger and save space without using a ramp since he likes to hop up anyway.

Attachments

• loft1.webp
    loft1.webp
    51.4 KB · Views: 3
  • loft2.webp
    loft2.webp
    48.3 KB · Views: 2
All the materials came in, so here is version 1 of Merlin's loft! The base is the spare C&C grid from the box his pen came in, a piece of green corrugated plastic in the middle, followed by a washable pee pad and some fleece on top. The grid is connected to the edges using four metal grid connectors and reinforced with a couple of zip ties. It's not the most removable addition to the cage, so cleaning is going to be a little more complicated, but... :doh:

I left the little hammock loft in there for him to practice jumping onto the loft from until he's comfortable with it. He popcorned a bit after getting up there, so he seems pleased!

Attachments

• ML1.webp
    ML1.webp
    72.5 KB · Views: 2
  • ML2.webp
    ML2.webp
    66.7 KB · Views: 2
  • ml3.webp
    ml3.webp
    79.7 KB · Views: 2
Back