• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

have you had this problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

piggybaker

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I was just wondering, My very old sow, piglet who is approx 6/7ish has gone bald on her legs and discovered on her tummy too, we have no skin problems in the herd, do you think this could just be her age, , or since she is incontinent could it be down to her urine. She doesn't have sores.

Has anyone experienced this.

Emma

Yes,this sounds like age related hormonal changes.I have found that baths do not help,and the hair is unlikely to grow back,in fact the baldness could spread.

Well (sorry sick joke) i have a special pig that can change breeds, she gone from a hairy to a skinny pig :D
She is gonna have to come in doors isn't she.

;D lol I'm not sure if she will have to come indoors ? but probably...

Sorry i can't help you hear i've got a boar but i have noticed that now he's older when he looses hair for some reason it takes ages for it to grow back :(
It is a worry that they lie in their wees and poos that's why i've got Duke on towels, sometimes i change them more than 6 times during a day especially when i'm home. Have you tried towels to maybe relieve a little of the discomfort?
Good luck with your 'young' girl she sounds beautiful :smitten:

thanks, she doesn't appear to be in disscomfort, she is certainly the first to the food and shoving everyone out the way, but if she does come in towls would be a good idea.

them

Clover is almost 7, and although she hasn't lost any hair.... her hair has changed colour! She used to be bright ginger but now she's dark brown on her back ?

Clover_kins said:
Clover is almost 7, and although she hasn't lost any hair.... her hair has changed colour! She used to be bright ginger but now she's dark brown on her back ?

Maybe it's the guinea equivalent to going grey ;)

It *could* be ovarian cysts, has her body shape or weight changed?

OMG yes she is very skinny and she drinks like a trooper, but she is so happy I would take her to the vet, but she is no obvious discomfort, loves to be cuddled and eats ,well like a pig ;D, and they would prod and poke her and its unfair.

So do you think it could be a cyst, she has never been bred from, she was my adopted one, and the lady never mention she had had a litter.

Sows with Cysts usually look 'pregnant'.... I would take her to the vets to be on the safe side, get a professional opinion :)

I've just thought - one of my sows regularly went bold due to suffering with mange. Her cage mates never had it though....

Niki said:
Clover_kins said:

Maybe it's the guinea equivalent to going grey ;)

Uncle Ton has got grey hairs! ;)

Sad news pigglet died during the night , but she was a ripe old age, :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back