Have I Done The Right Thing Getting 3 Pigs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loobylou99

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I recently brought 3 sisters home but after reading a few threads on here I wonder if I made a mistake? I now wonder if I should have just had 2 or got 4.advice much appreciated! I can still add to the family if need be.

I doubt you will have major problems with a trio of girls - it's boar trios that can really cause problems. I would see how they settle in. You may well see dominance behaviour and may well see a heirarchy developing.

If you have any queries about their behaviour - please feel free to post a thread in the behaviour and bonding section.

As @PiggyOwner has said, it shouldn't be a problem having 3 sows. Just make sure they have a large cage with lots of space.

@Wiebke has many sows and will be the best person to ask if you have any problems!

Thanks.i have room for 4 but no more than that. If they are likely to pair up I would get another so no one is left out, but I suppose that can happen no matter how many sows I get!

We had great success with a trio of girls, boys is not a number for three but sows are fine :)

They are no more likely to pair up in a four. Our four girls don't pair up at all.

Hope you are enjoying the forum, lovely to have you here.

I agree with them. I have two girls and one boy together in a 2x7 and other than some quick rumbles for dominance, they're fine. It depends on their personalities as well.

Mind me asking how big the cage/hutch is? :)

Thanks for replying I feel better now.i will see how it goes with 3.its 2 storey 2.5mtr across 1 mtr deep.living in 2 spaces at the top that I can separate and run at the bottom.ive got 2 wire runs for the garden I can put together and a conservatory for wet days so plenty of room.

Thanks.i have room for 4 but no more than that. If they are likely to pair up I would get another so no one is left out, but I suppose that can happen no matter how many sows I get!

3 sows are fine. If you find that you have got an outsider problem (a 2+1 situation that is causing issues but usually not fights or fall-outs), I would recommend to look out for a neutered boar, as he has to get on with all girls and won't disrupt the sow hierarchy. From 4 piggies onward, you are dealing with a mini-group with different dynamics.

Please make sure that you wait with introducing any boar until he is 6 weeks post neutering operation and 100% safe. I have the unplanned daughter of a supposedly safe over 5 weeks post-op boar (not one of mine) living here, just to make that particular point.

I have a trio of sows and have no problems.None of them are particularly close to any other, they just sort of mingle

I have a trio, 1 boar (neutered) and 2 sows, they get on like a house on fire, that's them in my avatar. :tu:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back