• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

hates to have ears clean. What to do ?

• Thread starter Thread starter the4ks
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

the4ks

:( My peanut hates to have his ears cleaned. I use a cotton but with oil and tried to go around his ears but as soon as I start he shakes his head and I know it must hurt. Now as soon as he smells the oil he fights with his head. I don't want to hurt him. Any Ideas on how to hold and do I need to clean his ears? How often They always look dirty to me. Any advise would be great. :)

Hi love sorry i can't help but i'm sure Karen or Mary will be up and about in a few more hours and they'll be able to help you O0
Does your Peanut need his ears cleaned regularly for some reason?
They don't like you touching their ears unless it's for kissing only :smitten: :smitten:
Good luck O0

There is no need to clean the ears unless you are sure they have a build up of black wax.This does need to be removed as it can attract mites.The oil is fine but you can also use Otodox.Just very gently clean round the inside of the earlobe,never poke the cotton bud right into the ear.If your piggy is very squirmy,try papoose wrapping him in a towel.
Have a look at Peter Gurneys health pages under ears and towel wrappping.

WWW..petergurney.com.

Sunshine gets a build up of wax ocassionaly so I wrap him in a towel and gently clean the ear with a bud and some cold boiled water. He is a good boy and doesn't mind. Some pigs perhaps don't like it though, Fleur hates being stroked in her head and shakes it at me! :)

I havent cleaned any of my guinea pigs ears so i wouldnt know O0

I can only imagine how difficult it would be to clean piggies ears.
My lots ears are almost tickilish and shake their heads when you touch their ears :o

I have only done Lennies and used a cotton wool pad as opposed to a bud. I would be scared if they moved I would hurt their ear :o

:) Thank you for the Ideas. I will try them and let you know. He does seem to get the black buildup. My other Paco is a little younger but his ears look good to me. I really don't want to poke him either. I also hate making him mad. I don't want the build up to get worse either. I love your Ideas I hope to give them a try in the morning. Thank you :smitten:

maryh said:
There is no need to clean the ears unless you are sure they have a build up of black wax.This does need to be removed as it can attract mites.The oil is fine but you can also use Otodox.Just very gently clean round the inside of the earlobe,never poke the cotton bud right into the ear.If your piggy is very squirmy,try papoose wrapping him in a towel.
Have a look at Peter Gurneys health pages under ears and towel wrappping.

WWW..petergurney.com.

Peter Gurney also recommends using dermisol liquid to clear out wax - anyone tried this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back