Has Pansy got PMT?!

Ruth1

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Wee Pansy is usually my docile, submissive little piggy, where Zola is most definitely the boss, but tonight the roles seem to be reversed - Pansy is doing the machine gun noises and wiggling her butt a bit and Zola is doing the wee - “alright alright calm down - I’m going I’m going!” Noises!

Is this to be expected? Thankfully Wee Zola bless her isn’t enforcing any piggy dominance and letting Pansy be in a mood. Pansy isn’t pushing it too far either! I’m not worried about them - just very interesting watching them tonight - an ALMOST role reversal, but with caution on both the girls parts. Wee grumpy Pansy 🤣🤣

Is this all normal?! Could Pansy be in season and grumpy?

Thanks for reading - knowledge/experience gratefully received!

It sounds like Pansy is in season. Sometimes they have stronger seasons than others. My RB Piggy The Ever Beautiful Betsy could be a right stroppy little madam when in season until she had a spay for ovarian cysts before this she was a right moody cow for months. It was a good job her husboar RB Piggy Cutey Pie Dennis loved her so much.

Lexi just rumbles away and Thea just puts up with it.

It sounds like Pansy is in season. Sometimes they have stronger seasons than others. My RB Piggy The Ever Beautiful Betsy could be a right stroppy little madam when in season until she had a spay for ovarian cysts before this she was a right moody cow for months. It was a good job her husboar RB Piggy Cutey Pie Dennis loved her so much.

Lexi just rumbles away and Thea just puts up with it.
Thanks for that. Shame I can’t give her ice cream and chocolate and a coffee and just tell her to go and sulk in her room for a while! 🤣

Wee Pansy is usually my docile, submissive little piggy, where Zola is most definitely the boss, but tonight the roles seem to be reversed - Pansy is doing the machine gun noises and wiggling her butt a bit and Zola is doing the wee - “alright alright calm down - I’m going I’m going!” Noises!

Is this to be expected? Thankfully Wee Zola bless her isn’t enforcing any piggy dominance and letting Pansy be in a mood. Pansy isn’t pushing it too far either! I’m not worried about them - just very interesting watching them tonight - an ALMOST role reversal, but with caution on both the girls parts. Wee grumpy Pansy 🤣🤣

Is this all normal?! Could Pansy be in season and grumpy?

Thanks for reading - knowledge/experience gratefully received!

Hi
This is the run up to stronger season; keep in mind that sows are ready to mate only at the very end of a ca. 15
hours season. Teenagers can often have stronger seasons, triggered by hormone spikes; most typically around 6 months but not exclusively.
Adult sows also can have the odd strong season. When they look like they are in season nonstop, then please have them vet checked for ovarian cysts.

More about seasons and very strong seasons:
A - Z of Guinea Pig Behaviours (for behaviours connected with a season, see entry 'Seasons in Sows'
Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts) (also see chapter 'sows in season')
When Sows Experience A Strong Season (videos)

Hi
This is the run up to stronger season; keep in mind that sows are ready to mate only at the very end of a ca. 15
hours season. Teenagers can often have stronger seasons, triggered by hormone spikes; most typically around 6 months but not exclusively.
Adult sows also can have the odd strong season. When they look like they are in season nonstop, then please have them vet checked for ovarian cysts.

More about seasons and very strong seasons:
A - Z of Guinea Pig Behaviours (for behaviours connected with a season, see entry 'Seasons in Sows'
Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts) (also see chapter 'sows in season')
When Sows Experience A Strong Season (videos)
Thankyou - I’ll have a read and keep an eye on her then she’s about 9 and a half months now I think.

Still very much a teenager!
I love her, and her bossy sister! Everything back to normal today - I even saw Zola giving Pansy a wee chin lift - I think I read somewhere on here that it’s a dominance thing. Ever so gently done, but it was very decided too - “Lift up your chin Pansy!”

Fascinating wee creatures! I enjoyed your boar article in GP mag!

I now have 4 girls and they are very harmonious most of the time. One of them is a 7 month old who I rescued and recently introduced, and they've been very kind to her and she's learned how to get along. THIS WEEK, she suddenly became bossy, rumble strutting and purring in their faces and chasing them! Definitely teenage hormones! The girls each do this occasionally, of course, but the fun really begins when more than one is in season. That's pretty much the only time we have conflicts, thank goodness.

I now have 4 girls and they are very harmonious most of the time. One of them is a 7 month old who I rescued and recently introduced, and they've been very kind to her and she's learned how to get along. THIS WEEK, she suddenly became bossy, rumble strutting and purring in their faces and chasing them! Definitely teenage hormones! The girls each do this occasionally, of course, but the fun really begins when more than one is in season. That's pretty much the only time we have conflicts, thank goodness.

They certainly keep you on your toes! Two’s plenty for me! (Although I’d secretly love a wee neutered husboar for them! Thank goodness I haven’t the space!)

Back