• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Has he got Cystitus?

• Thread starter Thread starter Fuzzy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fuzzy

My Honey has yet another problem. He now whines when he pees and seems to be in pain. He doesnt whine everytime he pees but most of the time he does. It sounds like cystitus to me. Will i need to take him to the vets (again) or is there aything i can buy to cure it myself. Also, Honey lives with my female pig Brandy. Could he pass it on to her when she comes into heat? If so, what are the symptons on a female pig? Any advice will be great. O0 O0 O0
Thank you!

He will need to see a vet as bladder infections require antibiotics (Bactrim/Septrin)- from the symptoms it sounds very likely. The vet should also check for bladder stones as this can give similar symptoms. I'm not sure about it being passed on but the symptoms in females include squeaking when peeing, blood in the urine, a constantly wet bottom and often a kind of smell of stale urine.

Ahh right. Brandy does have a wet bottom, constantly, but it doesnt smell at all. I thought it could have been bloat so i changed her diet but nothing seemed to help. She's still wet round her genitals. She doesnt squeek when she pees though. I'll definatly take them to the vet anyway asap. Is it easy to treat? It's not life threatening is it? All i've had is health problems with my pigs that ive bought from pets at home >:(
Thanks

Honey, your boar.. is he nuetered?

It sounds like it could be bladder stones and/or urinary tract sort of infection.

I don't know if Honey can pass it to Brandy when she becomes in heat, but are you trying to breed them?

Also, alot of time pet store piggies health problems are neglected - so yes, they could come with alot of problems. Unfortunately, pet stores don't really care about that sort of thing..

Good luck, Kay.

Yes I had Honey nuetered. And i definatly wouldnt breed any pigs from Pets at Home. EVER! Honey was a supposed 'Girl' when i bought her. Even the vet there said she was a girl. Did my own research and had 'her' castrated. Too late though. Brandy popped out 4 little ones on Christmas day. They've all gone to good homes apart from one that I had to have put down. She had cervical Lymphadentis. Gutted. They've had SO many health problems since day one when i bough them. Bad eyes, respiritry problems, etc. Has cost me fortunes and now..cystitus! What next? >:(
I will take them both to the vets asap (again) :-\
Don't get me wrong though.. I adore my pigs :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
Thanks again! :)

Okay, was just checking!
Same thing happened to me with Luna and "Roxy"... Both sold to me as girls.. found out Luna was SO pregnant about 2 weeks before she popped.. maybe less. She had 5 piglets 1 week ago.. so darling but was definitely not on purpose. "Her" name is now Rocky.

Fuzzy said:
Ahh right. Brandy does have a wet bottom, constantly, but it doesnt smell at all. I thought it could have been bloat so i changed her diet but nothing seemed to help. She's still wet round her genitals. She doesnt squeek when she pees though. I'll definatly take them to the vet anyway asap. Is it easy to treat? It's not life threatening is it? All i've had is health problems with my pigs that ive bought from pets at home >:(
Thanks

It's very easy to treat though it sometimes takes long treatments to get rid of. Bladder stones are more complex but less common than UTIs.

Complain to Pets at Home. You might not get any resolution but they need to know that you're not happy.

Good luck at the vets O0 It's great to hear that they've had more than their fair share of health problems (no, that isn't the great bit of course! That's very unfortunate :() but you're still willing to look after them, take them to the vets, pay for treatment etc - some people would have given up already.

Hope everything goes well at the vets and he is treated quickly and has a full recovery :)

Re: Has he got Cystitis?

Nah, i would never give on my babies! No matter what the cost! Love them to bits :smitten:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back