Has Anyone Used Fitch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMetallicas

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I'm still researching my options at the moment and trying to decide which options are best and I've recently been wondering about substrates and what everyone would advise. I buy 20kg bales of Fitch for my Chinese Hamsters as having wood shavings in the house caused allergies and I've also had hamsters that have been sensitive to the shavings too. They currently use it as both substrate and nesting material but I appreciate that Guinea Pigs are a bit different from Chinese Hamsters so I was wondering if anyone has used Fitch with Guinea Pigs or have any recommendations on what I should use in their living accomodation.

Yes, I have. It's very good at absorbing wee and pongs BUT I found it very hard to spot clean. You can't just pick or sweep poops like you can with fleece cage liners so I found I was cleaning the whole 5x2 C&C cage out every couple of days because I hate seeing poo laying around. That left me with loads of waste to get rid of and I got through LOADS of Fitch.

I found Megazorb and hay better as I could replace the wet hay daily, shake the poops through the dry hay and then just scoop them off the surface of the megazorb, replacing any wet megazorb as necessary. But BY FAR the best bedding I've found is purpose made fleece cage liners by C&E cosies. A fleece sandwich with a Zorb lining. I just sweep daily and replace the liner once a week. It never smells or feels wet. The wiggies do also have a hay filled gravel tray though, lined with megazorb.

i trie fitch in 6 x2 cage,and it got everywhere,on the floor,in cozy items,even a boar sac,and it stank after 5 days ,no good for me.trialling soft chip from snowflake,6 pounds for a 25 bale.it is soft .absorbant,does not fly around and cheap.I'm very impressed,been on it for a week and NO smells !fleece liners ,with zorb,and big cat litter tray lined with megsorband hay works well,but you must be prepared to sweep/vaccum up poo at least once a dayor it becomes a dirty secret !Depends on budget and time.

:D I have never used Fitch, but I used to use "Cosi 'N' Dri". Fitch looks very similar, except that Cosi was natural-coloured and Fitch is white. You can't get Cosi any more, so I wonder if it has been replaced with Fitch?

I use aubiouse in my litter trays and love it.Top layer dry, wee absorbs into bottom layer.Hardly any smell and I have five litter trays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back