Happy Hay orchard, oat and rye

Lorcan

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Dunno if anyone else has seen it but I know @Piggies&buns gets the orchard - there's been an email saying they're discontinuing the three hay types and swapping to timothy, meadow and mixes of the two.

Not an issue for me as is, but it might cause some others a hiccup.

Ahhhhhhh!
I haven’t seen the email yet.
Such a shame. My lot love the orchard and I love that it’s soft given it gets muddled in with bedding.

If I remember rightly, somebody, might have actually been you, said the happy hay Timothy is stalky. Is that right? If so then none of mine will eat it.

On the very plus side, I could just switch exclusively the bales of meadow from my local farm and make my hay bill £80 a year rather than £300!

Thank you for the heads up @Lorcan

Ahhhhhhh!
I haven’t seen the email yet.
Such a shame. My lot love the orchard and I love that it’s soft given it gets muddled in with bedding.

If I remember rightly, somebody, might have actually been you, said the happy hay Timothy is stalky. Is that right? If so then none of mine will eat it.

On the very plus side, I could just switch exclusively the bales of meadow from my local farm and make my hay bill £80 a year rather than £300!

Thank you for the heads up @Lorcan
Timothy is stalky for sure.

Screenshot_20240310-085317.png

Hopefully that's still readable, it sounds like the soft mix might be what you'd want?

@Jelly/Jam Happy Hay timothy is particularly stalky which the goblins love. As guinea pigs go, they're in the minority because they won't eat soft hay. Weirdos.

Found soft timothy hay from Oxbow but they are known to have mites. Is soft timothy hay as good as course timothy hay for their dental health?

Found soft timothy hay from Oxbow but they are known to have mites. Is soft timothy hay as good as course timothy hay for their dental health?

While imported, large production hay can have the issue, it’s not a given.
I used oxbow hay for a quite a while (prior to find the online suppliers I now use) and never once had issues with mites.

Yes any grass or grass hay works on their teeth in the same way.

@Piggies&buns Little Hay Co. do a second cut timothy which is soft. My boys loved it but with the postage it worked out expensive for us. I am going to get it occasionally as a treat but am sticking to cheaper meadow at the moment as we've had some expensive vet bills recently!

Back