hanging chews

piggiemummy03x

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
are hanging things okay to use in piggies hutches? i’ve placed a hanging ‘ Woodlands Loofah and Stick Small Animal Chew’ from p@h in my girls cage and just want to check its okay! even if they don’t use it i don’t mind haha, just want to check that hanging items are safe to use.

I've not used anything like that with ours, so couldn't say if they are safe, if it is for enrichment the simplest of things are what they tend to prefer, a paper bag/box stuffed with hay and forage or even just a massive pile of hay.

Mine don’t have them, they just prefer hay, they advertise a lot of stuff for small animals that are not necessary, not good for their health either,

Generally no - Hanging treat sticks etc usually contain sugary items or seeds which aren’t good

The one you have - the long wooden sticks might be ok as a standalone chew item but it depends what wood it is made from. The middle wicker ball also will be ok.

Often though, these kinds of things are ignored.
A big pile of hay with forage inside or a cardboard box filled with hay, carrot cottages or hay cubes are most well received

Last edited:
thanks guys! they have plenty of hay just wanted something available to chew on!

Attachments

• FDC540A9-E943-4BF2-A8F7-29426CAA804C.webp
    FDC540A9-E943-4BF2-A8F7-29426CAA804C.webp
    118.2 KB · Views: 11
Generally no - Hanging treat sticks etc usually contain sugary items or seeds which aren’t good

The one you have - the long wooden sticks might be ok as a standalone chew item but it depends what wood it is made from. The middle wicker ball also will be ok.

Often though, these kinds of things are ignored.
A big pile of hay with forage inside or a cardboard box filled with hay, carrot cottages or hay cubes are most well received

this is what it says on the web ‘This Wood and Coconut Husk Chew by Woodlands is made from an exciting assortment of textures including wood, coconut and wicker, making the ideal chew for your small pet to nibble on.’

it doesn’t have seeds in - i know to avoid these!

as long as it is safe i don’t mind if they don’t use it, i just don’t want it in there if it wasn’t suitable!

Attachments

• CE5EA048-3DB7-4D0C-A5DC-018EDFA52447.webp
    CE5EA048-3DB7-4D0C-A5DC-018EDFA52447.webp
    11.9 KB · Views: 4
I’ve never bought any chew toys for mine. What they have cheesecake on is boxes stuffed with hay and their wooden hides 🙄 I don’t think guinea pigs are into ‘toys’. Rather they like enrichment. Maybe yours would enjoy it though.

*adds carrot cottage and forage to shopping list for next month*

I’ve never bought any chew toys for mine. What they have cheesecake on is boxes stuffed with hay and their wooden hides 🙄 I don’t think guinea pigs are into ‘toys’. Rather they like enrichment. Maybe yours would enjoy it though.

*adds carrot cottage and forage to shopping list for next month*

yes iv done this already! just wanted a bit more in the cage for them, they seem to love chewing and have already made there mark under the ladder so just wanted some wooden bits in there for them so they have multiple options!

Eddi was our chewer and he loved nibbling on lots of things.
I bought him a few hanging chews for a bit of variety and he didn't use them because he couldn't really get a decent grip on them, as they swung around too much.
But if I cut them off the string and put the bits on the floor of the cage he would happily destroy them.

Eddi was our chewer and he loved nibbling on lots of things.
I bought him a few hanging chews for a bit of variety and he didn't use them because he couldn't really get a decent grip on them, as they swung around too much.
But if I cut them off the string and put the bits on the floor of the cage he would happily destroy them.

ah i see! i’m more thinking now its an extra thing they may run into and injure themselves on! as long as this isn’t the case i may leave it in there, also thinking about getting them little carrot shaped wood knawers you can buy from p@h, see if they like them!

You’ll just have to try and see how they get on with different items.

The only commercial items I buy now are carrot cottages or hay cubes. Everything else has been a waste of money and was always ignored (they’d rather chew hay or things they shouldnt!)). I tend to spend their spending money on forage from Piggie Parcels as that never disappoints!

You’ll just have to try and see how they get on with different items.

The only commercial items I buy now are carrot cottages or hay cubes. Everything else has been a waste of money and was always ignored (they’d rather chew hay or things they shouldnt!)). I tend to spend their spending money on forage from Piggie Parcels as that never disappoints!

of corse! i just want to triple check that everything safe! yes i’ll definitely be getting a carrot cottage, how are they stuck together though? i’d be worried staples and things where its 100% chewable!

of corse! i just want to triple check that everything safe! yes i’ll definitely be getting a carrot cottage, how are they stuck together though? i’d be worried staples and things where its 100% chewable!

A carrot cottage or hay cube is 100% chewable and safe - no staples, it’s not made of anything they can’t eat

Its an edible card coated with hay and then dried carrot on the roof. It’s hard work for them though so it often takes a while to get through them. Once all the tasty stuff (hay and carrot) has gone, my lot tip them over upside down and destroy it from the inside out!

Its an edible card coated with hay and then dried carrot on the roof. It’s hard work for them though so it often takes a while to get through them. Once all the tasty stuff (hay and carrot) has gone, my lot tip them over upside down and destroy it from the inside out!

Once the carrot and hay has gone on the Carrot Cottages and it gets flipped over mine use it as a toilet.

If you are looking at hay cubes @piggiemummy03x make sure you don't get the small ones and get the hay cubes that are 20cms x 20cms x 20cms or else your piggies could get their head stuck.

Last edited:
A carrot cottage or hay cube is 100% chewable and safe - no staples, it’s not made of anything they can’t eat

thats brilliant, ill get one next time i see one! i think they sell them in wilko! might also take a look online.. normally find them a little cheaper!

Once the carrot cottage has been gone on the Carrot Cottages and it gets flipped over mine use it as a toilet.

If you are looking at hay cubes @piggiemummy03x make sure you don't get the small ones and get the hay cubes that are 20cms x 20cms x 20cms or else your piggies could get their head stuck.

haha your pigs are good at recycling aren’t they😆 i’ll probably stick with the houses for now! is the largest one needed or will a medium house do?

Back