Handmade fleece liners

Packit

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
If I were to make liners I would need fleece, absorbent layer (uhaul pad), and stuff to sew with, right? And recommendations for a place to get fleece?

This guide has a section on making your own.

yes that is what you need, but you will need two layers of fleece - you make a sandwich of fleece on the bottom layer, the absorbent layer and then fleece on top. Some people choose to use a waterproof bottom layer but others find liners with a waterproof bottom can smell more quickly.

you will probably do best to wait for a US member to advise you on where to get the items given we are UK based

A Detailed Guide For Fleece Bedding

Tia Knight Fabric have a wonderful selection of polar fleece (that’s what they call it) anti pil fleece which is great and free delivery for orders over £25

eBay is a good place to buy fleece. I bought most of my fleece on there.

I do it differently. I don’t sew my liners. My pair would go underneath perfectly fitted pads. Instead I have a layer of absorbent material that fits the base, covered with a large piece of fleece that I pin to the edges of the cage to stop burying.

I do it differently. I don’t sew my liners. My pair would go underneath perfectly fitted pads. Instead I have a layer of absorbent material that fits the base, covered with a large piece of fleece that I pin to the edges of the cage to stop burying.
My pair don't go underneath anything. Never had them trying.

I'm looking there right now!
This is based in U.K. so don’t know how cost effective it would be. I’d try eBay and other fabric shops you may have online.

I got some of my fleece from Joann Fabrics; if you can find the sales, you can get an excellent deal, and they have a pretty good collection of patterns. I got another set of fleece at Hobby Lobby because I was parked next to one and curious what they had and found a cute fleece, though they have a much smaller selection, or at least the store I was in did.

This guide has a section on making your own.

yes that is what you need, but you will need two layers of fleece - you make a sandwich of fleece on the bottom layer, the absorbent layer and then fleece on top. Some people choose to use a waterproof bottom layer but others find liners with a waterproof bottom can smell more quickly.

you will probably do best to wait for a US member to advise you on where to get the items given we are UK based

A Detailed Guide For Fleece Bedding
I was reading the guide and that's where i got the idea to make my own. I would have done the sandwich fleece anyway because it makes more sense.

I got some of my fleece from Joann Fabrics; if you can find the sales, you can get an excellent deal, and they have a pretty good collection of patterns. I got another set of fleece at Hobby Lobby because I was parked next to one and curious what they had and found a cute fleece, though they have a much smaller selection, or at least the store I was in did.
I checked both of those options! They do have great choices and I love the mushroom patterns at jo Ann's! I will definitely be buying there sometime 😌

If you can't buy Uhaul pads, I buy mine off of Amazon or Walmart. I buy the non-quilted ones and use that as the absorbent layer. Here is one that I have used.

Robot or human?

I make sure I wash it once on its own on hot water and then dry it in the dryer. If you wash it more than once without it being sewn with the fleece, the moving blankets/pads will fall apart.

I also second buying the fleece at Joanne, but only buy when the fleece is on sale. I have tried both Blizzard and Anti-pill plush fleece and I personally prefer the anti-pill plush fleece. I like anti-pill plush as it is easier to sweep hay off of. The blizzard fleece holds on to the hay and doesn't want to let go easily.

I think I've gotten fleece as cheap as $3.99/yd at Joann (not anti-pill); my other fleece was more like $10.99/yd or so. Anti-pill is often around $12.99/yd-$14.49/yd, sale prices don't usually get under $8.99/yd for anti-pill unless you can shop remnants.

I think I've gotten fleece as cheap as $3.99/yd at Joann (not anti-pill); my other fleece was more like $10.99/yd or so. Anti-pill is often around $12.99/yd-$14.49/yd, sale prices don't usually get under $8.99/yd for anti-pill unless you can shop remnants.
Anti pill 1.5 yards for 10 dollars each, I'm getting 2 of those

If you can't buy Uhaul pads, I buy mine off of Amazon or Walmart. I buy the non-quilted ones and use that as the absorbent layer. Here is one that I have used.

Robot or human?

I make sure I wash it once on its own on hot water and then dry it in the dryer. If you wash it more than once without it being sewn with the fleece, the moving blankets/pads will fall apart.

I also second buying the fleece at Joanne, but only buy when the fleece is on sale. I have tried both Blizzard and Anti-pill plush fleece and I personally prefer the anti-pill plush fleece. I like anti-pill plush as it is easier to sweep hay off of. The blizzard fleece holds on to the hay and doesn't want to let go easily.
That's the fleece I plan to use. Totals to 3 yards. I think it's a fair price because I can pick it up in store and I don't have to pay for shipping. I can purchase the uhaul pads from my local uhaul location. 8 dollars isn't bad for the pads because it will make me 2 full liners plus some!
Robot or human?
Robot or human?

When i make the liners I should stay away from white right? Won't it get stained?
Fleece tends not to stain, but white will show everything - poop, hay, and hair.
Patterns tend to hide a lot so it depends a bit on what 'look' you are going for, and how much seeing the mess will bother you.

I never did white liners, but have seen some super fun patterns on a white base that work well.
At the end of the day it comes down to your personal preference, and that is the beauty of making your own - match them to your curtains, choose something fun, or use the fleece that was the cheapest!

Forgot to add, make sure you buy a heavy duty needle for your sewing machine or the needle will break! I bought one that is for denim and it has been doing well sewing through all the layers of fleece and pads.

You can do any color fleece you want, I have a yellow one with song birds and the other side has dragons, a pizza one, a paisley one with narwhales on the other side and a smores one. I like having different fleece on each side as it is fun to change the pattern of the cage.

Forgot to add, make sure you buy a heavy duty needle for your sewing machine or the needle will break! I bought one that is for denim and it has been doing well sewing through all the layers of fleece and pads.

You can do any color fleece you want, I have a yellow one with song birds and the other side has dragons, a pizza one, a paisley one with narwhales on the other side and a smores one. I like having different fleece on each side as it is fun to change the pattern of the cage.
Ah Thank you! I was just going to use a normal one but I will make sure to get a heavy duty one!

Back