Handling

Jasperandtoffee

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi…
New to keeping Guinea pigs. We have two young piggies about 2 and 3 months old. I got them from a rescue place about 2 weeks ago. I’m pretty sure they weren’t bonded or used to being handled. It was very difficult to catch one of them. Long story but I really wanted older pigs that were used to being handled. Anyway, they are slowly settling in and now taking food out of our hands.
My question is, when should we start handling them. I haven’t handled them since we got them as I thought it might be too distressing for them and take longer to settle in. I have no idea what I’m doing really. Or should I be trying to handle them so they get used to it.
Any advice appreciated! Thanks

Hi…
New to keeping Guinea pigs. We have two young piggies about 2 and 3 months old. I got them from a rescue place about 2 weeks ago. I’m pretty sure they weren’t bonded or used to being handled. It was very difficult to catch one of them. Long story but I really wanted older pigs that were used to being handled. Anyway, they are slowly settling in and now taking food out of our hands.
My question is, when should we start handling them. I haven’t handled them since we got them as I thought it might be too distressing for them and take longer to settle in. I have no idea what I’m doing really. Or should I be trying to handle them so they get used to it.
Any advice appreciated! Thanks

Hi and welcome

There is no firm time rule because it depends on your piggies.

We do have plenty of detailed practical information which you may find helpful. Please take the time to read these links here. They contain all the how-to advice that would be too much for us to repeat in every single thread, including information on their prey animal instincts and how you can miimise the risk of triggering them. Many piggies don't like being picked up and handled because it cuts very close to their prey animal instincts.
New Guinea Pigs: How to Best Manage Arrival and Settling In
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering and Cuddling Tips
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pigs Safely (videos)

Even before handling you can interact with them and enter their world through shared enrichment actitivities - that doesn't mean extra treats, by the way. But it helps to build up trust and is fun for both sides.
Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs

Here is the access link to our New Owner information collection which contains all the guides linked in above and lot more else to help you learn what is normal and not; how to spot early signs of illness. What their behaviours mean and the usual care guides, including our very comprehensive hot weather guide with lots of practical tips for yourself as well, guinea pigs as a species in their own right etc. You may want to bookmark the link and then browse, read and re-read at need as you will pick up on different things at different levels of experience.
Getting Started - Essential Information for New Owners

Hi! My piggy was also shy at first as well as skittish. It may sound silly, but to get her used to me, I sat next to her cage, and read out loud, so she could hear my voice. I offered her treats, making her take them from me if she wanted them, and let her sniff my hands to get used to my scent. After a while, she warmed up to me, and is now happy to be cuddled and petted, running out of her hidey-hole wheeking in delight when I walk in the room. In terms of handling your guinea pigs, it takes a while. Mostly when I handle my guinea pig, it’s to trim her nails. (She hates manicures lol.) 😂 At first she gave me a hard time, but after a while she got used to it and doesn’t put up a fight anymore. When picking up your piggy, I recommend being firm, and supporting their paws so that they feel secure. If they tend to nibble on your fingers, occupy their mouths with hay or some other material they can munch on. Really though it just takes time and lots of practice. Hope this helps!

Hi! My piggy was also shy at first as well as skittish. It may sound silly, but to get her used to me, I sat next to her cage, and read out loud, so she could hear my voice. I offered her treats, making her take them from me if she wanted them, and let her sniff my hands to get used to my scent. After a while, she warmed up to me, and is now happy to be cuddled and petted, running out of her hidey-hole wheeking in delight when I walk in the room. In terms of handling your guinea pigs, it takes a while. Mostly when I handle my guinea pig, it’s to trim her nails. (She hates manicures lol.) 😂 At first she gave me a hard time, but after a while she got used to it and doesn’t put up a fight anymore. When picking up your piggy, I recommend being firm, and supporting their paws so that they feel secure.

Back