Handling trouble (Nibbling)

guineauk

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey all.

I've had my two girls for about 2-3 months now. They have admittedly come a long way, initially they would run and hide whenever I was in the room, now they squeak excitedly when I come in the room and come up to the bars of their enclosure ready to accept treats from my hand.

I'm still having some problems with handling though, particularly with nibbling. They don't like being picked up from their cage too much anyway, I usually have to use a tunnel or bed to scoop them out of their cage, when I pick up my smallest girl (Scoop), she'll be ok for about a minute or so in my hands but then she'll start nibbling my fingers until I put her down (no noises). With my biggest girl (Pippa), she let's out a low gurgling/growling sound whenever she's in my hands and then she'll also start nibbling until I put her down. I've read that nibbling can be a sign of fear and a warning that a bite is coming, I've also read though it can be a sign of affection?

Any advice? When I hold them I'm using the proper techniques and supporting them etc.

I too would like to know this about nibbling. I have two boars, roughly 13 weeks old. Teddy will sit quite happily and chill and loves a cuddle. Dough his brother on the other hand, ‘chats’ and constantly nibbles fingers. The nibbling is getting harder now too, verging on a nip. It started with licks initially.

My piggies all sit and nibble my fingers and also constantly lick, I take it as a sign of affection. They also nibble to let me know when they need to go to the toilet lol! As for the purring sound you mention, it can mean they are scared however, it can also mean they are settled and content and are enjoying your affection. I think the pitch of the purring indicates how they are feeling.

Another sign to look for is if the purring and nibbling is accompanied with teeth chattering which is a sign of being scared or angry.

Hey all.

I've had my two girls for about 2-3 months now. They have admittedly come a long way, initially they would run and hide whenever I was in the room, now they squeak excitedly when I come in the room and come up to the bars of their enclosure ready to accept treats from my hand.

I'm still having some problems with handling though, particularly with nibbling. They don't like being picked up from their cage too much anyway, I usually have to use a tunnel or bed to scoop them out of their cage, when I pick up my smallest girl (Scoop), she'll be ok for about a minute or so in my hands but then she'll start nibbling my fingers until I put her down (no noises). With my biggest girl (Pippa), she let's out a low gurgling/growling sound whenever she's in my hands and then she'll also start nibbling until I put her down. I've read that nibbling can be a sign of fear and a warning that a bite is coming, I've also read though it can be a sign of affection?

Any advice? When I hold them I'm using the proper techniques and supporting them etc.

Hi

Nibbling in the context of picking up is an expression of displeasure. I call it 'tweaking' to distinguish it from more friendly/explorative nibbling. Tweaking can range from very mild to drawing blood (although not necessarily intentionally - we don't have the added protection from a fur coat. It is a deliberate and controlled gesture. The strength is an expression of how strongly the piggy feels about their complaint.

Nibbling can be exploration of new textures or tastes (for instance salty sweat residue on the skin); they learn or like. As affection, it comes actually more under social grooming/barbering where there is no hair. Nibbling can be a touch more dominant than affectionate licking (dominance grooming) but it really depends on the actual situational context.

You may find these guide links here both interesting and helpful:
A - Z of Guinea Pig Behaviours
" Biting" And What You Can Do (Biting, Tweaking, Nibbling and Nipping)
Barbering ( Eating Hair)

How to deal with unwanted behaviours in a social context that they immediately understand ('piggy whispering' by mimicking the way a savvy piggy deals with their mates): Who is the Boss - Your Guinea Pig or You?

Back