Handling the unhandled

• Thread starter Thread starter swsuey
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

swsuey

Hi
Does anyone have any tips on how we can encourage our new (6mth old) boars to come for cuddles? They haven't been handled before and we've tried perservering with foody treats. Also how often can we give them apple 'cos that's their favourite?
Sue on behalf of Oscar and Nigel

Sue,
I think it is quite hard to get a pig to actually come to you for cuddles. Sometimes once they are actually in your lap though they realise it is quite nice and nothing to be scared of. I recommend spending lots of time just sitting by their cage with your head at their height so as not to scare them. After a while he will recognise your voice and should be ok with you putting hand in to stroke him and lift him out. I hope. One of mine still hates being picked up but he loves it when he's out.
Apples should be a rare treat as they give piggies ulcers. I give mine a slice or two about once a week at most.
ps. I used to have birds called Oscar and Nigel. what a coincidence. x

It takes time they will eventually learn to trust you people on here have been great with info on how in encourage the shy piggies. I have been feeding my piggies a slice of their veg before I put it in they come up to my hand and take it now but this has taken about a month. My two boys are over a year old and they havent been handled and do not trust humans they are slowly getting used to it once they are on my lap they are fine and they have their own blanket which has their smell on. I also weigh and cut their nails so they get used to being handled. I also sit in their run with them (my neighbours think i'm mad) and they sit by me and hide under my legs. You will get there eventually! ;)

it takes time and patience I often use a piggy fleecy blanket wrap them in it and walk around with them talking to them, in warmer weather they get a tour of the garden a few times of this helps to bond you with them, also never talk or tickle/ stroke over them as in the wild thier natural predators fly over them , get on their level I often sit int he runs with them they see the older ones come up to me with no worrys and end up trying to get on my lap with the others to see what they are missing but time and patience is important hand feeding also helps as they associate food with nice cuddles , good luck

Michellemuffin♥ said:
it takes time and patience I often use a piggy fleecy blanket wrap them in it and walk around with them talking to them, in warmer weather they get a tour of the garden a few times of this helps to bond you with them, also never talk or tickle/ stroke over them as in the wild thier natural predators fly over them , get on their level I often sit int he runs with them they see the older ones come up to me with no worrys and end up trying to get on my lap with the others to see what they are missing but time and patience is important hand feeding also helps as they associate food with nice cuddles , good luck

Totally agree. Patience is the key! :)

Totally agree with everything that has been said. I use to get bitten to death by my little boar and he just would not settle when I held him. It's been 3 months now and he's about the same age as yours and he's getting better. He still runs away from me in my cage and flinches if I touch him but once I've got hold of him he is so much calmer.

Like Michelle said I used a towel and if he got scared he could hide in it to feel safer.

My acorah will always run if I try to pick her up, but she loves cuddles and snuggles up with me. She just doesn't like the actual picking up and I don't think that will ever change.
Dandylion races around but loves to snuggle up already. I think along with patience it also depends on the piggy.

I agree with everyone. I takes time, if you have a special blanket to sit them on it will have their smell on it and should comfort them. If you feed them their favourite fruits and vegetables whilst they're on your lap they Will start to associate it with a positive thing. Start by taking them out for a short period of time each day and start to increase it as their confidence grows.

Each guinea pig varies, i have had guinea pigs that will sit and cuddle for ages and others that will fidget and want to straight back to their cages.

:) Thanks everyone. I think we're making progress :D We've been doing as you say and for the first time this evening my daughter and I had them on the floor between our legs (a tip from ukguineapigs forum). At first they did the "I'm not a real guinea pig, I'm just a statue!" So I went for broke and started stroking them and tickling them behind the ears. One even made mini wheek noises. then with some cucumber to tempt them they started to move around and LET us stroke them.
Next stop.......picky uppy! Gotta get there soon because their claws are starting to get critical!
Will get them their own towels tomorrow.
Watch this space.......... ;D

Pretzel stops and leans up to look at me if i put my hand in the cage, its the going back in part she hates! But thats probably cos she was a supermini pig when i got her and i have her out everyday 5 or 6 times a day :embarassed: so shes more than used to her crazy mummy ;D

She doesnt seem to mind though!

And harrys the same...but hes a massive confident pig that the OH is always feeding, so he knows the hand in the cage brings good things ::) ;D

Harry gives you a little nip if he wants to go back, which i really dont appreciate! ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back