Handling Question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harrisbods

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, I've had my babies for a week now and just wanted to check I was doing things right!
I left them alone until day 5 and have now been picking them up and cuddling them for 10 mins each every day to get them used to me and handling! Is that ok? They also go in the Indoor run but just hide away! Thanks for your advice! Tracey x

Hi Tracey. That all sounds great. You may want to offer a piece of vegetable while holding them so they learn lap time is fun!

It takes a bit of time for them to get used to you, but gentle handling (and food!) will get them to trust you. You're doing the right things! x

It's definitely a very gradual process - my baby girl pigs are taking a long time to adjust and get used to being handled and brushed. I find it makes a difference to take them out every evening - I can find myself with backward steps (more nervous than before) if I don't keep taking them out now! They are improving but it does take a good while. I've had them about 4 weeks now.

I hadn't thought of giving them veg at the same time as lap time... seems obvious now! Might need to get some extra stocks of parsley in :))

A fleecy blanket or cosie helps with their confidence at lap time, gives them somewhere to hide and easy to put them back in their cage. That and they love to snuggle. Something like is is ideal

Sorry, tried to copy & paste a web link but it's not working & I can't work out how to delete the blank post. Sorry :stu:

Try offering a piece of veggies so that they become more tame and if your not already sit in the run with them. Also it may sound weird but talk to them like they are a human as it will get then used to your voice but other than that you are doing great ! :) :) ;) ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back