Handling problems for grooming

Kancil

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi guys, I’ve had my piggies for almost three months now and I’m still unable to handle them. I know that it takes time to get them fully comfortable with handling and they are progressing really well. The problems arise when I need to groom them (cutting nails, bathing, and checking for physical health). It’s really hard and every time I do it, as they struggle sometimes. Plus the days worth of progress suddenly moves back to square one. Please share tips on how I can make them more comfortable when I handle them. Thank you!

What do you mean by bathing exactly? Our piggus don't need regular bathing.

For nails and overall check ups I usually distract mine with a piece (or two, maybe more) of bell pepper. Works like magic!

I have 4 piggys and there's only 1 that actually really likes a cuddle with me and handling. The other 3 hate it and squirm and are desperate to get back in the cage and I've jad them for over 12 months!

Some love handling some don't.

I will add they will mostly sit still though whilst I do their nails.

They may never get used to being handled, even just for weekly health checks. With regards nail cutting, you can maybe do a foot or two one day and then the others the next day. And give them something to munch on while you’re doing it. Also perhaps try and wrap them up, only leaving out the foot you’re working on.

Please don’t bathe them regularly. It’s not good for their skin and they shouldn’t need it. If they’re soaked in urine or have a dirty grease gland then you can do a bum bath. But even then it should not be regular for the latter.

Lastly, 3 months is a short time in the grand scheme of things. 🙂

Thank you guys for the reply! Sorry I replied so late. I actually haven’t bathe them since they arrive home, their fur has always been clean (never damp or yellow from grease). They are still squirming every time I cute their nails, but it is manageable.

The drama around nails can persist even when they are otherwise happy to be handled. My old lady now seeks out cuddles but she still screams like a banshee when the clippers come out 😂 She has only ever had one bum bath her whole life with me (over seven years) as she hasn't needed it otherwise.

Thank you guys for the reply! Sorry I replied so late. I actually haven’t bathe them since they arrive home, their fur has always been clean (never damp or yellow from grease). They are still squirming every time I cute their nails, but it is manageable.

Hi

Nail cutting is not fun and some piggies will never like it. I get through it by gently rubbing their ear to remind them that I am the boss if they start wiggling too much and then lots of praise, especially with for the ones that do not like it. Distraction with some favourite fresh grass or veg can also help.

If a piggy really has problems, especially after a bad experience or coming from a background with some rough handling, then I take to slowly and do not all the nails at once, only as far as they can stand to build up confidence (again).

Your own confidence and practical experience will transmit to your piggies; it is just getting that practice and working out how it all works best for you - that needs time and is part of the normal learning curve for every owner.
Just keep at it.

Back