Handheld vacuum for cleaning hay off of fleece

Kyogre386

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has any good recommendations for handheld vacuums to use on fleece that handle hay...less badly. I've had guinea pigs for over 3 months now and handling hay has been by far the hardest part. I've opted to avoid hay racks of any kind because of the potential dangers and initially I just put the hay on the fleece, I've also tried bowls/plates though to have it scatter a bit less. Piggies being piggies, after the hay's been scattered a while they don't really eat it and want more hay, so ensuring they always have hay to eat means there's always a bunch extra lying about that I need to clean up. I have a dustpan and brush, but the hay sticks to the bristles or gets flung about and I'm honestly just not that good at getting it into the dustpan. When I first got the pigs I got a handheld Black+Decker vacuum to help with cleaning. It was louder than I expected but after they got settled for a week or so I tried it and their reactions ranged from couldn't care less to curious, and eventually I started using that. It works great for the poop, but much less so with the hay. It does pretty well with smaller pieces, but not so much with the bigger ones. I've been using the dustpan and brush to get the bigger pieces up, but I'd like to have to do less of that and more with the vacuum. I found out pretty quickly after getting the pigs that I was allergic to hay. Timothy was really bad, I switched to orchard grass which is better and that combined with an N95 for cleaning helps a lot to the point that it's workable. But using the brush kicks up hay dust more than with the vacuum which doesn't help, and also a vacuum is just easier. I know from searching the internet that no vacuum can really handle larger hay pieces well (except maybe shop vacs, which I'm not sure I want), but I'm just trying to see if there's anything out there that can at least do better than the first thing I got before I even had the pigs yet. The current one I use has a pretty narrow nozzle and that definitely makes it harder to get the larger pieces unless it's at the right angle. Also the stuff the vacuum sucks up doesn't go straight into the part where it collects everything, it then has to go sideways through a valve to get there, so that contributes to clogging meaning I have to quickly take it apart and unstick it more often. It also seems like the space between the filter and the sides is a bit narrow which hay doesn't fill as well. Has anyone else had similar experiences and found a good handheld vacuum that is better with the hay? Or is what I already have about as good as it's gonna get?

I have a vax dust buster type. It does a great job for a quick poo run but doesn’t work to use for an actual hay cleanup. Do you have a rubber brush for your dustpan? That will work better than a nylon brush.

We use a Shark cordless vacuum which has handheld attachments with kind of roller brushes on it. This vacuum has totally revolutionised our hay clean up as all other vaccums we have had didn't pick up hay very well. This one is absolutely excellent at picking it up and also not clogging. Also brilliant at getting any hay etc that goes on the floor and is a pet vacuum so picks up all the stray hairs too. They also offer specific models for allergy sufferers with technology to avoid the dust being distributed into the air.

I have just recently bought a Shark Handheld pet and I’ve been really impressed. It’s loud, as all vacuums are so mostly the pigs hid whilst I use it. Except ruffles who I swear is deaf!
It does a great job on the fleece, but I do pre clear most of the hay and poo off with my dustpan and use the Shark to get all the little bits of hay and fur off.

For anyone else looking for something like this, I got this Shark vacuum. Amazon.com. It seems more powerful than the other one I had, and it's much easier to empty out the dust cup when it gets full because it has a thing that flips open instead of needing to take it apart. It might also be quieter I think, but my pigs are more inclined to check out handheld vacuums than run away from them anyway. I think the dust cup is bigger as well, and the battery life is definitely longer. It still has trouble with hay to some extent though. There is a spinning thing at the bottom of the dust cup, and unfortunately the gap between the spinner and the side of the dust cup is small, so hay gets stuck there. It's still better than the other one, though, because the other one has a 90 degree turn between the nozzle and the dust cup, so it takes much less to get that stuck and it's much harder to unclog it, plus it blocks more stuff from coming in since the obstruction isn't at the back. And it had something sticking out into the dust cup too, it just didn't matter much because it'd usually get stuck in the nozzle first. I'd definitely recommend this for guinea pig cage cleaning, though if anyone knows a similar model that has an empty dust cup (I don't know enough about vacuums to know if that is possible), that would interest me.

Back