Hand Feeding Timid And Confident Brothers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamphers

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Just wanted some advice (again lol)

Our boys are a lot more settled since we got them last week and happily come out and roam their cage whilst we are watching TV or sat chatting to them.

When we are sat with the front of the cage open, we are attempting hand feeding. Miguel is a lot more confident and will take spinach from our hand. Tulio is a lot more cautious and prefers to watch from his house, he has on occasion taken the odd piece but not much. Any tips?

I'm wondering if we should concentrate more on feeding Miguel so Tulio sees us as less of a threat and comes out more, or is we should persevere with offering his bits too from the entrance of his house (both houses have two exits.)

We are moving them into a big c and c 2*5 tomorrow, so didn't want to handle them until we've got this out of the way. Minimal stress. Then going to build it up a little at a time from Friday :)

Just wanted some advice (again lol)

Our boys are a lot more settled since we got them last week and happily come out and roam their cage whilst we are watching TV or sat chatting to them.

When we are sat with the front of the cage open, we are attempting hand feeding. Miguel is a lot more confident and will take spinach from our hand. Tulio is a lot more cautious and prefers to watch from his house, he has on occasion taken the odd piece but not much. Any tips?

I'm wondering if we should concentrate more on feeding Miguel so Tulio sees us as less of a threat and comes out more, or is we should persevere with offering his bits too from the entrance of his house (both houses have two exits.)

We are moving them into a big c and c 2*5 tomorrow, so didn't want to handle them until we've got this out of the way. Minimal stress. Then going to build it up a little at a time from Friday :)

Be patient and persist; you always have a piggy that is holding back more. You are actually doing really well. It often takes a lot longer to get to that point.

My original pigs took until they were 1 to get tame so a week is brilliant. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Much like training a dog you need to set targets according to their individual strengths and weaknesses. Ask the confident one to take from your hand (maybe even the palm if you can get it) and get the longest sprig of parsley of lettuce and try and get the nervous one to take it from you at the entrance of the house. If he doesn't just leave it there. Eventually, his want for the goodies (and jealousy of the other one getting all the treats) will out-weigh his fear of you - their stomach always seems to win in time ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back