• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Hairy's straining - waiting for vet

• Thread starter Thread starter PigPog
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PigPog

I'm currently waiting for the emergency vet to call back so while I can't do anything else I thought I should post here and ask some questions.

Hairy is a hairless guinea pig. He's always had trouble pooing on and off. In December he has liquid paraffin for constipation. I had him on it for two days before he picked up. I have just noticed he is really straining very hard - so hard in fact that his sides go right in and his ribs stick right out. He is also stretching out and he leans to the left when he strains.

He did have rubber nail caps on his nails to stop him scratching his skin (he's an enthusiastic scratcher) and there's some speculation over whether he's eaten a cap or three. My vet said last month that an x-ray won't necessarily show up the caps because they're rubber, and the next step I believe he said would be invasive.

He is not neutered so I believe the chance of impaction is higher (I think...).

So, while I'm waiting for the emergency vet to call, any ideas? His dad Simon (my fiance) is quietly going nuts with worry so any ideas would be great.

Hairy boy what are you upto?
Kate have you tried manually manipulating the poopies or blockage out. I know its not a nice job but it could help.

Emma x

Hey Ems. :D

Right, the vet is currently dealing with a horse which he doesn't seem very optimistic about and he thinks it'll be an hour or so before he can get back to us. Not ideal, but there's nothing I can do about it. :tickedoff:

In the meantime, I've given Hairy 2 drops of paraffin. The vet called to give us an update on his status just before I did it and he agreed the paraffin was a good idea in his absence. I have also had Hairy's bum in my hands and I've had a good poke, massage and prod. No poo came out, his bum isn't messy and I can't feel any hard bits. I personally don't believe he is impacted as most of the evidence doesn't point to it.

He has stopped straining as much and he's now drinking and eating some carrot. I've put Avipro in his water bowl because I think the paraffin gives him tummy ache.

We did think about kidney stones but he's peeing fine, it's not discoloured and it doesn't smell bad. So we've almost ruled that out.

He's picked up a lot in the last hour, but I've told the vet I'm still not happy at all about the way he's been straining. I'll post again when the vet calls back. Tomorrow I am 100% going to jump on my usual vet, Ian, and do my best to get Hairy in to see him.

It does not sound like impaction and if he was constipated the liquid paraffin should have worked.Give him lots of water by syringe and consider getting an x ray/scan done,there may be an obstruction higher up in the gut.

We finally got to take him to see the night vet. He thinks Hairy has colic at the moment, and I've been instructed to keep him on the Avipro. He's had a painkiller injection and a good poke around. His lungs are clear, there's no obstructions in his rear end, and his kidneys feel fine. Tomorrow I'm going to try and get him in with his usual vet.

awwww poor little guy, sending heaps of healing wheeks and piggie kisses from Duke and I :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
When Duke had colic i had to use the simethecone (sp) dam it can't remember the exact name, but it's children's colic drops and they worked wonders O0
ask Karen she's still on O0

The baby colic drops I use are Infacol. Most of the baby "wind" drops are o.k.,but make sure you get a brand that does not contain alcohol.

hope hairy gets to the vet and you find out what the problem is. sending love and prayers your way. hoping things work out, you're lucky you're in the UK or USA where vets know something about guinea pigs. please keep us updated. :) :smitten:

Thanks guys for the well wishes and the colic remedies. Hairy's much better today. We've out him back on his favourite oats which he's hoovered up. ;D He's been eating and drinking and he's got his Avipro in his water as per the vet's instructions. Hairy has also bee squeaking at us for food which is a relief. He's off to see his usual vet Ian tomorrow afternoon. We decided since he's much better today to give him the day to calm down after his examination last night. In fact, he's sitting at the buffet as I type! :D

I was thinking about gripe water - would this be any good? Or is that what you guys have already been talking about? ::)

I would syringe his Avipro so you know what and if he's getting it, I never put meds in the water :)

Gripe water or simethicone are fine,but as I mentioned earlier some brands contain alcohol which should not be given to piggies.

so happy hairy is much better today. hope he continues to improve. sending love and cuddles to you from aussie land. please keep us updated. and hairy boy you keep getting better for your mum. :) :smitten:

Mr. Hairy, you had me all worried.
Kate keep me informed because you know Kanika and I are his no1 and 2 fans!

Emma x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back