• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

hair loss on nose?

kez1322

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all. Only had my biggies 2 weeks- noticed one had a slight bump on her nose- now there seems to be hair loss. Its nose sore or red etc..any ideas?

Attachments

• 20200625_233434.webp
    20200625_233434.webp
    75 KB · Views: 11
no not in pain let's me stroke the area no problem...its not a totally bald area but hair is a lot shorter/patch getting bigger...my other one is fine and the breeder says she has treated them with stuff for mites etc before we picked them up x

no not in pain let's me stroke the area no problem...its not a totally bald area but hair is a lot shorter/patch getting bigger...my other one is fine and the breeder says she has treated them with stuff for mites etc before we picked them up x
Hm, it could be mites. But I’m not entirely sure, @Wiebke should be able to help you out more. Good luck with your piggie! 💗

Thanks. they live indoors and I have only had them 2 weeks...is it likely she had this before I bought her? xx

My suspicion for a new piggy with hair loss on the nose would be ringworm. However it is important that you get a vet to check and give you the correct diagnosis and the correct treatment. Please do not treat on spec with any over the counter products. You can make things much worse. Please read the guide linked above as if it is ringworm it is contagious and can be passed to humans. So please do take precautions when handling this piggy.

the breeder said she has just treated one of hers for fungal so I'm presuning it has come from there. x

the breeder said she has just treated one of hers for fungal so I'm presuning it has come from there. x

Well, I’d say it’s a pretty good bet she’s sold you a pair of piggies with fungal. Please get them to a vet to get the formal diagnosis and treatment.

I’d also strongly suggest you double check the sex. Good luck with the vet trip.

Back