• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Hair loss help

Lovespigs

New Born Pup
Reaction score
my 4 year old piggie has bald spots on all of her legs, i haven’t noticed it until today, what could it be, it’s making me panic, my mum won’t let me call the vet saying that she is acting fine.💔 i’m so scared

Attachments

• IMG_2919.webp
    IMG_2919.webp
    39.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2920.webp
    IMG_2920.webp
    34.5 KB · Views: 6
Your piggy does need to see a vet for diagnosis.

Hair loss can be for a variety of reasons and only a vet can diagnose the cause - they can sometimes chew their own hair off (barbering) due to discomfort in the joints.

Are you not able to call the vet yourself and make an appointment?

Barbering ( Eating Hair)

thanks, my mum just agreed to a vet appointment, but the local exotic vets don’t have any appointments until friday! i’m panicking alot

my 4 year old piggie has bald spots on all of her legs, i haven’t noticed it until today, what could it be, it’s making me panic, my mum won’t let me call the vet saying that she is acting fine.💔 i’m so scared

Hi

Please show your mother this thread. Self barbering on the legs is a sign of pain in them (most likely arthritis) but you will need a vet diagnosis. The prescribed medication can help to alleviate the pain and symptoms and buy your boy quite a bit more quality life time. With a diagnosis we can then help you with practical tips of what else you can do in terms of long term care. It is not going to break the bank.

Here is more information on signs of pain: Signs of Pain in Guinea Pigs

It’s not a matter of extreme urgency. It can wait until Friday
thanks for your help :)
Hi

Please show your mother this thread. Self barbering on the legs is a sign of pain in them (most likely arthritis) but you will need a vet diagnosis. The prescribed medication can help to alleviate the pain and symptoms and buy your boy quite a bit more quality life time. With a diagnosis we can then help you with practical tips of what else you can do in terms of long term care. It is not going to break the bank.

Here is more information on signs of pain: Signs of Pain in Guinea Pigs
my poor piggie, it scares me that she’s in pain, if she was would she be less active? because she is acting like her normal self running around and squeaking, and the normal stuff she does. my mum has agreed now, i’ve shown her and she agrees that it’s best if she sees a vet.

Hope all goes well when you see the vet.
Guinea pigs are prey animals so they are very good at hiding signs of illness.

thanks for your help :)

my poor piggie, it scares me that she’s in pain, if she was would she be less active? because she is acting like her normal self running around and squeaking, and the normal stuff she does. my mum has agreed now, i’ve shown her and she agrees that it’s best if she sees a vet.

Not necessarily - prey animals can hide discomfort surprisingly well.

I’m glad you can get her seen

thank you :) i’m gonna try calling another vet on monday cuz they’re all closed on sundays

It is not an emergency so a weekday appointment during regular opening hours sometime next week is perfectly OK. Biut good that you have her seen. :tu:

We can help you with further practical advice once you know what is going on.

It is not an emergency so a weekday appointment during regular opening hours sometime next week is perfectly OK. Biut good that you have her seen. :tu:

We can help you with further practical advice once you know what is going on.
thanks so much, i do appreciate it, i’ll post again on this thread once i know what’s going on

hii again, soo, luckily it’s not pain! the vets suspected cystic ovaries and it being hormonal. he couldn’t feel any cysts, but he said sometimes they are so small. he said that the only problems she’s having aren’t severe and as long as she’s not in pain or anything. hopefully it doesn’t get any worse, i forgot to ask the vet but do you think her hair will eventually grow back?

Back