• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Hair falling out and blinking from one eye

monilovespuhi

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I am here to ask for some help since my guinea pig is acting very strange. His hair around his eye is falling out, and he can't open the eye properly. I will take him to the vet tomorrow asap, but can I get information on what could have caused this eye problem, and can I do something about it before taking him to the vet?

Hello everyone!
I am here to ask for some help since my guinea pig is acting very strange. His hair around his eye is falling out, and he can't open the eye properly. I will take him to the vet tomorrow asap, but can I get information on what could have caused this eye problem, and can I do something about it before taking him to the vet?

Hi

Any eye that cannot be opened points toward a serious and very painful injury. Please have your guinea pig seen as an emergency as soon as ou can. Guinea pig eyes are the same as cat and dog eyes; diagnosis and medication is also the same, so any decent general vet who will see guinea pigs will do. Speed is crucial since injuries and infections can get worse very quickly.

The sudden 'hair loss' around the eye is likely the result from watering/a steady run of tear fluid as a sign of irritation and pain in the eye; it only looks like loss but it isn't. It's just wet hairs stuck together and plastered against the skin.

Hi

Any eye that cannot be opened points toward a serious and very painful injury. Please have your guinea pig seen as an emergency as soon as ou can. Guinea pig eyes are the same as cat and dog eyes; diagnosis and medication is also the same, so any decent general vet who will see guinea pigs will do. Speed is crucial since injuries and infections can get worse very quickly.

The sudden 'hair loss' around the eye is likely the result from watering/a steady run of tear fluid as a sign of irritation and pain in the eye; it only looks like loss but it isn't. It's just wet hairs stuck together and plastered against the skin.

Back