Hair Cuts

pinzerino

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hello

I have two Peruvian guinea pigs and have tried to cut their hair myself - it looks terrible. Any advice on how to do this and stop them looking like 4 year olds who have been playing at hair dressers?

I wish I had an answer to that. My Bobby would be much tidier. Guinea pigs don't care what they look like. If it really brothers you, you might be able to get a pet groomer to do it, but for me, it's just trial and error - I just cut bits off until he gets fed up, then try again later.

Have you tried bribing them with something like kale, coriander or their favourite treat to keep them still? I do that with Betsy and it makes a world of difference!

hello

I have two Peruvian guinea pigs and have tried to cut their hair myself - it looks terrible. Any advice on how to do this and stop them looking like 4 year olds who have been playing at hair dressers?

I'm lucky in the sense that my pigs are largely shorthaired but one of ours does get very long at the back (she's got some silkie blood in her I think). I find that what looks awful is the straight lines you get with the scissors.

If you watch how the hairdressers cut human hair what they tend to do is cut the bottom to the correct length then cut in sections perpendicular to the floor (i.e. fingers and scissors pointing to the floor or ceiling) rather than parallel to the floor using the bottom of the hair that has already been cut as a guide to the correct length. Parallel cutting forms the horrible horizontal bars that are really unsightly. Hairdressers then pick up the hair again and cut up into the hair strands. This blurs any bars that form. If you're not comfortable perpendicular cutting (I know my pig is particularly wriggly went she's had enough). Just cutting at an angle should blur it enough so it looks less awful. Human Hairdressers also worry about getting both sides the same length but since pigs are so close to the ground I don't really think it's worth worrying about.

I've tried attaching photos of what I mean below. It's a bit hard to explain in words.

Stage 1) Cutting to the correct length. http://www.thecuttingrooms.co.uk/wp...onsive/images/cta-img/img-440x440-cutting.jpg
Stage 2) Cut perpendicular to the floor (fingers/scissors pointing to the floor) to avoid horizontal bars in the hair. https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/hai...on-cutting-hair-beauty-industry-100044244.jpg
Stage 3) Cut up into the hair at a slight angle to blur any bars that have formed. (Keep these cuts small). https://i.ytimg.com/vi/t_-lPLpbPoM/maxresdefault.jpg

Hope this helps. :)

Brilliant thanks! I’ll give it a go. Poor Betty isn’t loving attempt one. I bought thinning scissors to try but the pull and the pigs hate it!

I try treats too, I’ve been trying to use them for teaching them how to use the ramp in their cage so will see how this goes!

3D257352-3DED-472E-815E-C7AE647362AA.webp

That looks really good. Mine just get theirs all cbopped off round bums and heads them more random chopping all over their bodies. Only one of them will sit and eat, the other two try to get away and have to be held firmly (gently but firmly) for their own safety.

Thanks - it’s a good angle though, this is her rear end. Not so good! Once I started I kept going shorter and shorter to try to even it up and ended up with it like this!

D4A0F0D9-8804-4BFA-BC12-0607FE6403CB.webp

Practice makes prefect I guess. I think it just looks odd because of the transition - a big step in her fur. Perpendicular cutting should sort that out I think. The bottom doesn't look half bad though.

My pig with the long butt hair hates bum trims. But when we've got warm weather I think she appreciates it as she sits still when its warm. ^.^ I've learnt less is more. So long as she's not peeing on her fur, that's a successful cut in my book.

Mine always look flipping awful even after years of doing it, however, you'll find after a week or so it never looks quite so bad!

It always grows back. I have ceased worrying about how it looks. The guinea pigs don't seem to mind. Either if they have to live with it or look at it.

I find it's easier to get an even cut with electric trimmers rather than scissors. I originally changed because my Perran is scared of the 'snip' noise (and jumps even when I was being careful not to make the noise) and it's quicker. But a side benefit is that it's way easier to end up with a neater job! Most of the time no one else sees what they look like though, so I don't worry too much :P

That looks ok. I think it’s just practice that will make the difference. And like others have said piggies don’t care what their hair looks like. As long as they are comfortable that’s the main thing.

@acapae what eletric trimmers do you use ?
They're supposedly men's beard trimmers that I bought from Lidl for like £8 - LOL. I was advised to buy electric trimmers aimed at people rather than pets as apparently the latter are usually much more expensive even though they're basically the same thing.

Oo link please. I now have four fluffers so need quick hair cutters!

They're supposedly men's beard trimmers that I bought from Lidl for like £8 - LOL. I was advised to buy electric trimmers aimed at people rather than pets as apparently the latter are usually much more expensive even though they're basically the same thing.
Thanks ,i will take a look .x

I can't do a link as I bought them on one of their 'random stuff' weeks last year. But they were labelled as "hair and beard trimmers". I presume Amazon/ Ebay would have similar more or less always available for cheaps.

I’m going to let mine grow their hair a bit because it’s so cute and fluffy. But I’ll return to the trimmers when it becomes too long Again! Thanks for all the advice.

One of my past girls had long, curly, textured hair. After a haircut she always looked ridiculous :doh:
But as others have said, after a week or so it’s not so bad and it’s better looking and more comfortable than hair matts!

Back