• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

hair brakage on new mummy pig

• Thread starter Thread starter abbi
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

abbi

Not too sure where to start! Abbi had 3 babies 16 days ago, she has been a great mum! But over the past 3 days or so I have noticed that her hair (she is an Absynnian) looks like it has been cut off in chunks. Could it be from the babies? Is she rubbing? Is she stressed? Not sure what to do, love her to bits and wanna help her. Would a nice bath help at all? Been meaning to bath her since she had babies but wanted to leave her alone for a while.
Please help!
:-\

Could be the babies chewing her.
My peruvian girl had babies 6 weeks before i got her and they had chewed all of her coat but its all grown back now.

I had a piggy once who loved to chew the hair off his house mate, it wasn't done in a nasty way.

Some sows will experience hair loss after the stress of giving birth, or like has been suggested, the babies have chewed at her coat...it should grow back naturally, but if it doesnt and you are worried, take her to the vet in a few weeks and see what they say O0

Yep should be fine just something that happens from giving birth sometimes... O0

I know that rabbits use their own fur among other materials to make nests for their babies but not too sure about piggies...

My sow had red roar skin after i noticed she had given birth and was sure it was stress as she had 6 babies :( Well her back end where the hair loss was just went from red to like a skinny pig with smooth soft skin with no hair ?

I just thought nothing of it and thought however she is then I'm fine if her hair doesnt grow back :)

She and her bubs got mites so took them to the vets and after the first injection i noticed prickly hairs were growing back after i handled her :D She is now normal as ever before O0

Oh and i would leave the bath out for a while as i dont think it is anything do do with smelly hair or anything that a bath would sort out O0

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Today I moved my outside piggies (Scruffi and Penny) into the garage as its starting to get rather cold out at night. I also took the opportunity to bath them both, and while I was at it I bathed Abbigail too. Hope this wasn't the wrong thing to do, I didn't do the babies though. After her bath and hair drying, she had all sticky up hair and looks more like a rosette than an absynnian!

Oh, and while I'm at it, how soon can I take the baby boys out? They are purring for the girlies I am sure, and dont wanna risk Abbi or baby Lilly having fun times with the rellies!

My friends are having the boys so they wont be at mine after 6/7 weeks old, but not sure when to seperate from mummy, especially if she is loosing her hair, dont wanna stress her out.

Sorry about dribbling on, but I have found this site fantastic for reading up on piggie care, Its great! :smitten:

Cheers anyhow! ;)

The boys must leave mum at 3 weeks...

What did you bath her with? Was it a product for nursing sows? If it wasnt, there is risk of the babies swallowing the reminants of the chemicals :)

For the future, I wouldnt have bathed her for a few more weeks as that is very stressful, but as long as shes okay O0

Oh poo! I hope she will be ok! Its called insecticidal Shampoo for small animals, from Bob Martin. I only used 5ml on her. The amount stated for a hamster.

As for the boys, they will be 3 weeks old on Tuesday. They had better start packing their bags soon then. :'(

Is there anything I will need to do for them when they are seperated? As in extra food as in what else but their pellets and fruit/veg, bedding etc.

Lilly will be ok as she will still be with mummy Abbi.

I really dont know if it would cause a problem, if it was a small amount and she was properly dried I think there is less chance of it being ingested :)

No, nothing different to do for them really....might want to give them a snuggle pouch or something to keep cosy, but they have company, so thats the main thing. They should be eating same as mum, their mix and veggies, but its worth weighing them once a week to keep track of them, and be able to act on any weight loss asap.

Yep, the sow will be fine staying with mum :)

Just to add normal pregnancy hair loss is usually round the sides where the skin has stretched but not the fur O0

Her hair loss/brakage seems to be from her shoulders down. She does have some long hair still in patches though.

i used that shampoo on my pigs and checked that it was ok to use on the babies, cos i had an outbreak of mites and just washed everyone to be safe.... so, i assume theres nothing harmful

munchkin has lost her hair twice, once cos of mites, that was bald patches and the second time i noticed was cos the other pigs chewed her hair when theyre chewing grass... it only twigged with me when she had these wee bright green tufts amoung her white hair... lol

You shouldnt really bath lactating mums that are still nursing i made that mistake ?

Thanks for your advice. Abbygail has no patches missing from the roots down, only broken hair. I keep checking for any bald patches but she has none.

Hopefully she will be fine.

I took babies away for a little while so she had a break today, and I could tell she enjoyed the time by herself, she squeeked a 'thankyou' and blew me a kiss, bless her!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back