• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Had Sooty at vets tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Today when we went to clean his cage we noticed he had a funny smell coming from him then when my mum lifted him away from her she realised he was covered in diarrhea. I gave him a bath to wash it off and put him in a run to see how he was. We gave him in some basil and he norm loves it but only ate a leave and walked away. My mum ended up phoning vets and since he's stil young we were to take him down. He got 2 injections, 1 for fluid I think and the other an antibiotic and anti inflamitry. He's got 3 bottles of medicine and a red liquid thing so he's getting enough fluid. We got told to give him some oats and apple baby food, live yoghurt and some fresh orange juice. He's just to get hard food but I don't really see how he'll get any vit C. We think it was the hard food that caused it because we had none left yesterday so just got some out of Asda. Is there anything else that I can do because he's just lying under the hay and his bag legs are trailing behind him when he tries to walk. :(

HI, I'm so sorry to hear this. I have no medical experience but he sounds so poorly. It will take a little time for the injections to take full effect. In the meantime could you maybe give some food which has been liquidised and feed it by syringe. Maybe some oats mixed with water(runny porridge when its cooled down). If he has diarrhoea I would avoid the fruit juice as it may make it worse. If you can get some diarolyte or rehydrat from a chemist tomorrow and mix as directed you could give this by syringe. I was advised to use that by Vedra from Cambridge Cavy Trust. They seem to really like the blackcurrent flavour and its not too expensive if you can buy Boots own make. I really hope he is ok. Keep us informed.

Sound exactly how mine were a few weeks ago. I hope he fights this and gets better. Best wishes lil one.

Hiya

I have no medical experience either but he does sound so very poorly.

I would avoid the fruit juice and all fresh veggies as this can make it worse, if he is no better i would take him back to the vets or contact Vedra and the CCT, she is brilliant.

I hope he is ok and keep us informed.

we used diarolyte on one of our pigs the other week and it worked wonders
I hope Sooty pulls thru,it sucks when theyre ill like that,been there done it and it was awful

He got given rehydrat by the vets. Been giving him it as much as I can. He was just the same this morning but he make a few squeaks when I had him on my knee. Misty and Brandy are getting fed and he's not making a noise and he's norm the noisey one. He's to go back on Thursday afternoon but I'm just worried that he won't get any Vit C.
Thanks for all the messages tho :)

Oh Laura, you poor love. It sounds as if Sooty is a very poorly little mite. How is he today?

He's a bit better now but stil looks weak. He's just lying under his hay sleeping. Managed to give him some of the oats and apple baby food in a syringe. He's getting his rehydrat every hour. Don't know what flavour it is but he seems to like it.

Hope Sooty is soon feeling better. Good avice from members to avoid fruit juice. I'd also consider asking your vet for some "Recovery" for you to syringe feed.
Take care and love to your little one,
Barbara

someone mentioned give him some metatone when hes feeling a bit better?

Think he's begining to feel a bit better. He's started running around his cage when we go to pick him up. He always does that so hopefully he's a bit better :)

Poor little man hope all his meds help him quickly :-*
Try to stay calm and keep on offering him all his fav foods as well.
Take care thinking of you.

Glad to hear that he is better,keep getting perkier little Sooty ;)

There was some blood last night but this morning he's started to poo normally. He's eaten some carrot and cucumber. Last night my mum had him out and I was sitting next to her with Misty and Misty started sniffing the air them jumped over to my mum and just lay beside him cuddling him. Was cute because he would normally push him out the way so he could get attention. :)

Aaaaw! Sounds like he is getting a little better ;) Huggs to Sooty and hope he continues to get better!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back