• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Gut Stasis Day 4

baggy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have a 5 year old piggy and he's on treatment for gut stasis. Baytril, Metoclopromide, Metacam and critical care syringe feeding. He's had scans and it's definitely stasis. He's not even walking and will hardly take anything from the syringe. He looks more dead than alive but I spoke to the vet yesterday and she says just carry on. He grunts with each breath. When does improvement start to show because it really looks dire.
Thanks. His name is Daddy Pig.

I’m so sorry to hear this.

Are you weighing him daily (each morning) to ensure he is getting enough feed each day?
How much feed (in ml) are you managing to get into him in each 24 hour period?

Is he on a good dose of metacam twice a day?
While stasis itself isn’t painful, the reason for him being in stasis could be.

The guide below explains everything more in detail

Hi everyone. I have a 5 year old piggy and he's on treatment for gut stasis. Baytril, Metoclopromide, Metacam and critical care syringe feeding. He's had scans and it's definitely stasis. He's not even walking and will hardly take anything from the syringe. He looks more dead than alive but I spoke to the vet yesterday and she says just carry on. He grunts with each breath. When does improvement start to show because it really looks dire.
Thanks. His name is Daddy Pig.

Hi and welcome

BIG HUGS

Grunting is a sign that Daddy Pig is in agony. Is his belly feeling like concrete? In this case, please emergency euthanise as soon as possible, as much as it pains me to bring this up. I have had to make that decision for several piggies of mine. There is usually no way back from that. I am ever so sorry. It is very upsetting. :(

GI stasis is when the gut is not moving at all and is dead silent. This is different from when it is ballooned and hard (severe bloat). Gassing/an overactive gut can immediately precede GI stasis and there can be gas showing up during a stasis event but severe bloating in guinea pigs is a different illness; it comes in waves like a tsunami and the belly is hard as a drum. However, both issues or a mix of them can be deadly if the gas cannot be shifted or the gut won't restart.

It's not your fault and you have been doing all the right things.

I hope Daddy Pig feels better soon ❤️ How is he ?

Poor dear Daddy died at about 12 today. I was up with him last night and I remembered about that thing called Kangaroo care that parents do with new borns, so he was on my warm tummy last night to try to soothe him. I tried everything. It was an awful ending. I had just phoned the emergency vet to take him to be put to sleep but he decided himself that he'd had enough. Terrible.

I am sorry for your loss 💔

Poor dear Daddy died at about 12 today. I was up with him last night and I remembered about that thing called Kangaroo care that parents do with new borns, so he was on my warm tummy last night to try to soothe him. I tried everything. It was an awful ending. I had just phoned the emergency vet to take him to be put to sleep but he decided himself that he'd had enough. Terrible.

BIG HUGS

I am ever so sorry. Daddy sadly didn't sound like he would make it, to be honest. But it is the kind of scenario I hate when my gut feeling is right. I have been there often enough myself over the years. It is always worse when it happens over a weekend. :(

You have done the right thing in keeping Daddy warm but not hot. It makes letting go easier once the circulation is starting to break down.

Please be kind with yourself. Some battles you can sadly not win; there is nothing you have done wrong. Medication for the digestive tract is sadly very limited and not the most effective - and guinea pigs are mostly gut, wrapped in fur with a wheeking whistle attached...

Give yourself time and try to get a rest and some sleep whenever you can. It is OK not to be OK for a while after an experience like yours but try not to get trapped in one of the pernicious mind loops that grieving can take you into.

Here is our sensitive but practical grieving guide for owners to help you understand your experiences but also with lots of tips of what you can do for yourself and where to find help if you need it:

Here is our guide for bereaved companions, from the immediate things you can do from saying goodbye to the longer term. As long as any companion is eating and drinking, they will hold for 1-4 weeks so you will have a bit of time for your own emotional needs.

The best thing you can do for yourself is talking. If you are in the UK, then the free pet bereavement platforms of the Blue Cross will be the place for you (weekdays). In other countries, access to pet bereavement support can be rather patchy, unfortunately: Pet bereavement and pet loss

My thoughts are with you.

So very sorry that you lost your piggy. You did your best for him but sometimes the pull of the rainbow bridge is too strong. Sleep tight little fella.💕🌈🐾

Back