• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Gut stasis after care and advise please!

Amyspuddan

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone

Please could I have someones advice on my piggy and what I should do?

I took my piggy to the vet as he wasn't eating. He got diagnosed with gut stasis and was advised to keep him for 24hours, so he was kept in and treated for the 24hours.
We got him back fed him as normal and gave him his five day medication. It has been 3 days now after his medication and he has lost a lot of weight and still not eating much and hasn't pooped all day. We have been trying to give him critcal care and giving him water but he does not want to have it? All he seems like he wants to do is sleep in his blanket.

Could anyone help me out if this is normal after a piggy has had this? If they loose weight / lazy around?

Thank you, hope you guys can help ! thank you x

Amy

hi everyone

I took my piggy to the vet as he wasn't eating. He got diagnosed with gut stasis and was advised to keep him for 24hours, so he was kept in and treated for the 24hours.
We got him back fed him as normal and gave him his five day medication. It has been 3 days now after his medication and he has lost a lot of weight and still not eating much and hasn't pooped all day. We have been trying to give him critcal care and giving him water but he does not want to have it? All he seems like he wants to do is sleep in his blanket.

Could anyone help me out if this is normal after a piggy has had this? If they loose weight / lazy around?

Amy

hi everyone

Amy

Hi! You need to keep on syringe feeding round the clock until your piggy is recovered and eating on their own again.

My Pili Pala took nearly a week until her first tiny post-stasis poos were appearing and she started eating on her own; she continued to need top up support in the following weeks; because she turned out to have an underlying bowel issue (IBS), her recovery was much slower and she required ongoing medical and feeding support during the last year of her life.
Getting her through the acute phase and getting at least 60ml into her in 24 hours during that week was a very draining round the clock struggle with feeds every 2 hours during the day and every 3 hours in the night. Even despite my best efforts, she lost around 300g in just a week and had a very narrow escape.

Please see an out-of-hours vet asap as an emergency. It sounds like your boy is either still in stasis, has slipped back into stasis or is dying. :(

Here is our very detailed GI stasis care advice. It has been proof-read by a very experienced piggy owning exotics vet nurse.
Bloat, GI Stasis ( No Gut Movement) And Not Eating
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

Fingers very firmly crossed!

Thank you:
He is sat eating his hay and has been for the past 15 minutes. He has made a improvement since he had gut statiiis. The problem is he is not poOing and is turning down veggies. I will be taking him to the vet first thing monday but i wanted to know if there is a recovery period after he has finished his medication or if he should go back to normal straight away. There seems to be no information I can fin about guniea pigs recover from medical treatment. What expiernce did you have with your pig after he finished the medication ? we have also found poops in the back of his cage, they are small but solid. He has also been making happy chirping noises.

Thank you:
He is sat eating his hay and has been for the past 15 minutes. He has made a improvement since he had gut statiiis. The problem is he is not poOing and is turning down veggies. I will be taking him to the vet first thing monday but i wanted to know if there is a recovery period after he has finished his medication or if he should go back to normal straight away. There seems to be no information I can fin about guniea pigs recover from medical treatment. What expiernce did you have with your pig after he finished the medication ? we have also found poops in the back of his cage, they are small but solid. He has also been making happy chirping noises.

Please be aware that you have the gap of the acute stasis where your boy has not been digesting and transporting any nutrients. That gap continues in the output as well. You will find information on this score as well as my observations in Pili Pala's GI stasis thread (the link is in the guide) helpful on that aspect. As your boy IS eating on his own (even if it is not fully), it means that his guts are actually working to some degree or other. You just have to be patient and supportive until it all normalises, which can take some more days. Poo output after GI stasis is always lagging more than the normal 1-2 days behind and will at first reflect the crisis. You may find Pili Pala's first post stasis poo picture illuminating.

thank you so much for this. Can you advise how much critical care we should be giving him and how often? where can i find Pili Palau's first poo picture?

thank you so much for this. Can you advise how much critical care we should be giving him and how often? where can i find Pili Palau's first poo picture?

You can find detailed advice on various feeding regimes (frequency and amounts) in our syringe feeding guide, depending on whether your guinea pig is not eating/eating very little or is starting to eat more normally again. Please also read my previous advice.
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

The link to Pili Pala's story is embedded in the GI stasis advice guide; it serves as a de facto illustration of the very detailed advice in the guide. Please take the time to read both; they make much more sense together as you will understand each side better. And will understand a lot better what your boy is going through and where he is at now. ;)
Bloat, GI Stasis ( No Gut Movement) And Not Eating
Please Send Your Vibes To Pili Pala!

@Amyspuddan Depending on the severity of the gut stasis and the length of time they go without eating then they can lose weight.

If he is not eating for himself and not pooping them the issue hasn't been resolved and he is still in gut stasis.

I recommend going back to the vet for them to inject gut medication into him as it is more effective than oral meds.

If he has been pooping then there isn't an issue with a blockage and so you have to 'be cruel to be kind' and force feed him. His digestive system needs to get moving again.

Thank you, he is eating him self but his poos area bit different, today we woke up and his poos were almost light water? he seems more himself today and even did a little squeak when we rustled a bag like his old self. Do you think this is the delay in gut movement? x

Thank you, :) he is eating him self but his poos area bit different, today we woke up and his poos were almost light water? he seems more himself today and even did a little squeak when we rustled a bag like his old self. Do you think this is the delay in gut movement? x

Thank you, :) he is eating him self but his poos area bit different, today we woke up and his poos were almost light water? he seems more himself today and even did a little squeak when we rustled a bag like his old self. Do you think this is the delay in gut movement? x

Yes, I would recommend to mainly keep him on dry food/syringe feed until the poos start to normalise and be very careful with too much fresh veg. But it is a vry good development to see poos in whatever form; it means that the internal conveyor belt is working again and that any digested food is coming through.

If necessary give a course of fibreplex mixed into his syringe feed to help restart/rebalance his gut fauna. You can find information on fibreplex in the syringe feeding guide in the chapter about support products.

I have merged both your threads so that all the information you need is in one place

Back