• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guniea pig passed away

Juliah

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello everyone! One of My sons guniea pig died while we were out of town. My oldest son was home and taking care of both guniea pigs and our little guy was dead in the morning when my son was going to feed them. The guinea pigs were not in the same cage because at some point when they were younger they used to fight over food so we ended up putting them in separate cages but we would still take them out so they can play and they did well outside the cage but not so much together in a cage. Even though they were not in the same cage they both new the other one was there and would go crazy when they heard each other make noise. I don't know if I should just let out other guinea pig chewy be alone since they really didn't live on the same cage or should we try getting another piggies and try to see if they bond? I just don't want chewy to feel sad now that he won't hear or see chubby anymore 😢

I’m sorry for your loss.

Piggies should not be kept alone (living side by side is absolutely fine as they aren’t alone) so your remaining piggy will need a new, character compatible friend. Provided they are compatible, they will be able to live in the same cage.
Please do try to bond him with a new friend.

As a male piggy he can only be bonded with one other male so please don’t try to get multiple other males and then try to put them together. Doing so will cause fights and you will end up with more single piggies.

A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?

I’m sorry for your loss.

Piggies should not be kept alone (living side by side is absolutely fine as they aren’t alone) so your remaining piggy will need a new, character compatible friend. Provided they are compatible, they will be able to live in the same cage.
Please do try to bond him with a new friend.

As a male piggy he can only be bonded with one other male so please don’t try to get multiple other males and then try to put them together. Doing so will cause fights and you will end up with more single piggies.

A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?
Thank you so much for your advice. There is a place here in California called LA Guniea Pig Rescue and they do adoptions there and they try to bond them before giving them up for adoption. That's where I will probably go if I do get another one. This just happen yesterday morning so right now chubby is quiet. He gets super happy when we talk to him but other than that he goes to his little corner.

Thank you! Yes they're great! I think that will definitely be the way to go for us. I bought both our piggies at petco but I didn't know until I after we bought them and started doing research about them that I found out about this place and that their's actually adoptions for guinea pigs! I'm so glad I know now.

Sounds like you're on the right track with LAGPR getting Chewy a compatible friend should definitely help him adjust.

Good luck, LAGPR is such a dedicated and expert organisation. I enjoy watching them on social media!

Good luck, LAGPR is such a dedicated and expert organisation. I enjoy watching them on social media!
They also have a YouTube channel. I don't know if you've seen it. And thank you, I made an appointment for this Saturday to adopt a new buddy for Chewy. Hopefully he's able to bond w another piggie 😍

They also have a YouTube channel. I don't know if you've seen it. And thank you, I made an appointment for this Saturday to adopt a new buddy for Chewy. Hopefully he's able to bond w another piggie 😍
Yes, it's one of my favourites, really amazing all the things they do. Very modest, but experts!

I did watch, I remember those two but I didn't realise it was you. When I get a chance I will have a speed through it again until I get to that bit and have a watch of them again.

Poor Chewy, he was so good. Tod behaved just like my Bertie did. 9 potential friends over 3 weeks and he ended up with a through the bars friend who was also difficult to bond!
How are they now? Has Chewy managed to get any rest.
They are both very good looking boars. Chewy is particularly good looking, Aby's are so gorgeous.

Back